1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mantis/Honda Tiller

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Unsingle, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

My wife has six small gardens that are about 6 ft. X 20 ft. Each year we get the neighbor to till them, but he can’t do it anymore. I am thinking about buying a small tiller like a Mantis or Honda, but don’t know if they will work well. If I were younger, I would buy a rear tine model, but don’t won’t to spend the money or try to handle that big of a tiller. A larger front tiller is even worse. Anybody use any of these small tillers? I thought I saw a post on a Mantis tiller on here, but I couldn’t find it. Thanks

2. musky

musky TS Member

My brother in law and myself both have the mantis with honda engines on them. They have more than enough power from flower garden to vegetable garden. The only thing that i have noticed is that they till way better pulling them backwards than going forward. All in all a great little tiller.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

We have a Mantis (electric) and it does everything we need. From flower beds to gardens...I wouldn't go back to gas (mixture) again.

Curt

4. John55

John55 Active Member

I bought the Mantis last year...best money I ever spent on a piece of garden equipment. Mine has the 2 cycle engine and I've had zero troubles with it. Starts easy, doesn't smoke and has plenty of power...and yes they do work a lot better if pulled backwards!

5. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

Don't think twice,hands down the Mantis is the one. It is a real workhorse. I have had mine for 20 years and it is still going strong. They also have a first class service department
    Rich

6. toad67

toad67 Member

I had an original mantis with the 2 stroke and had problems with it. Get the 4 stroke version if you are going to get a gas model.

Todd

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Actually Echo makes the mantis..or at least they are Identical with echo motors on them..they are the only thing I have ever seen advertised on tv that works like the comercial shows... I have 2 of the 2 strokers..!!

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've owned the Sears look alike to the Mantis for 15 years or more and for small gardens it does a great job!

9. porky

porky TS Member

If you have heavy soils(clay), the engine will not hold up to it. Mantis was designed to be a tiller to weed more than till deep,the motor will not hold up to continual spring tilling(motor will burn up). If you are looking for a tiller to till the gardens up in the spring, get a 5 HP Troy Bilt. It's small and works for both tilling and weeding.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you have perfect soil they are fine, if you have typical Missouri rock with a little dirt mixed in they suck.

11. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

You must till when weeds are quite small with a Mantis. The tines plug
    easily. If tilling tree rows a bigger tiller works better.

12. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Well, I finally got the Honda and used it for the first time today. Wow, it really did a nice job, easy to handle, started immediately, and just overall really nice workmanship. Thanks for the comments.

13. letts

letts TS Member

Till in April? Our garden is frozen and is will soon be covered with wet snow.
    May hopefully we can start preparation for planting in June. Good thing is in August and September we can harvest.

Letts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.