1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mandatory options at Grand American Trapshoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Some Shooters would like to see mandatory options at the Grand. Payouts could be huge? Whats your take? Clyde

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

There is a reason they are called "Options".

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Clyde--What did you loose 'em on your last cast?

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Grand would be Grand if all options were eliminated and made mandatory ... It would eliminate those who go to the Grand just so they can say they went to the Grand X number of years in a row and make the payouts Grande also ... I hear people chirp about shooting against the best when in fact they have nothing to lose and everything to gain ... I can see it now, I beat _________ III or ________ or _______ ... So how much did you win ..? Nothing, I don't play any money and _________III or ______ or __________ won the money ... These same people probably pick their numbers for the Lottery and tell you how much they would of won if they would of bought a ticket ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry Kemper

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

The $200k is an attempt to entice more people to play the options. Regrettably, by making it a "High gun" payout for reach of the events, there will be fewer "winners" as there will be only 5 scores that "hit" the Lewis - if I understand it correctly.

Clyde - you are insane - LOL. The ATA has enough trouble getting people to Sparta. They would love to have twice as many shooters who shoot 1/2 as much so the numbers look good. We are dumb when it comes to measuring success. We look at number of people instead of targets thrown. Therefore, you need different bait. Come up with an idea that draws more people; not fewer.

Don Verna

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I read here all the time where the ATA(not my words just the way it reads)is not marketing and promoting everything correctly. Also that we need to grow the membership.

So explain to me how this could be accomplished by forcing everyone to pay for all the purses? It seems to me that those that don't play the money now are not going to suddenly start to do so. Those that don't play the money now will just stay home or quite shooting ATA events and shoots that have mandatory purses.

If that were to be the case how would it help attendance at any shoot that has mandatory purses?

It was written above that it would,

"It would eliminate those who go to the Grand just so they can say they went to the Grand X number of years in a row"

That would manage to tell all shooters that your reasons aren't important to anyone but you. Well I don't know about the rest of you but the reasons I shoot or don't shoot are my own not the ATA's or anyone else's

BTW there is one more reason not to make the money mandatory.

SECTION VIII PURSES AND OPTIONS

A.COMPULSORY PURSES

No compulsory purse and/or option of any type shall be permitted in any tournament in which ATA trophies or ATA added monies are provided.

Bob Lawless

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

It is not a good idea, it is a great idea! America has become a land where everyone is a winner and we have no losers anymore. Look at our little league baseball system. We all know little Johnny couldn't hit the ground if he fell let alone a ball with a bat but we have to let him play. Everyone makes the team. On the flip side, there are some people that would much rather have a Grand American trophy in their display case in place of the money that may come along with it. The money will be long gone but that trophy will serve as a constant reminder that you bested the best that day. I would be in favor of seeing the purses compulsory on the 400 championship targets only and leave all the rest alone and see how that worked.

JK

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This is just a question that was asked and everyone has and is entitled to their own idea or opinion ... The rules could be altered for the Grand if enough people wanted to go for the Gold against the Best the sport has to offer, just like they did with the all new shells rule a few years ago ... Think about the pay checks with the spectators eliminated, 1/2 the shooters and twice the pay outs ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Let's see. You take a sport that's prohibitively expensive and you have to be
    comfortably well off to afford to participate; but think that the possibility of winning a couple hundred dollars is the best incentive.

Without trophies, awards recognition, bragging rights and, yes, refusing yardage reductions, we wouldn't have a tenth of the shooters we have now.

11. over/under

over/under Member

LOL Clyde you're a ornery cuss LOL

12. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

From the perspective of a spectator who has no chance of winning the Grand, I think it's a good idea.

For the big events, don't call them "options." Just call them an "entrance fee," like Golf tournaments. Doing this will make it more of a major league sport and get the event down to only the people who should be there.

How interesting would Golf be if some no-name were in Tiger Woods' foursome, trying to hold par? Swap the no-name for Mickelson, and what happens to interest?

I'd also like to see entrance to the GAH limited to people who have won a "Major" in the year or have scored enough "leg" points to qualify. The event would be more interesting if people had to play their way in and only proven shooters were in the game.

Hope this doesn't get as angry as the Cardinal thread.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Great idea but first move the top shooters back a few more yards and weed out the professional sandbaggers (good luck on that one). Since neither will ever be accomplished it'll never work. Trapshooting has become a sorry state of affairs whose ranks are filled with trinkets only shooters!!

14. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

It would be nice if there were a center trap, like Center Court at the U.S. Open, that had grandstands around it where the really big events were shot or where the highest ranking shooter in attendance was shooting.

I'd also like to kill presquading for the best shooters and assign the highest ranking shooters to the same squad. Instead of wandering trap line looking for something interesting, a spectator will know exactly what trap to visit for the best action.

I've been reading a lot of old posts, and GoldEx has a lot of good ideas for making the sport more attractive to younger shooters and general spectators. There are also a lot of good ideas in the archive that the ATA should review. I know people hate change, but we have to think about tomorrow.

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Indy Shotgun,

Have you ever been to the Grand? Do you think people will sit and watch the Top Dogs shoot 200+ rounds in a shoot off for the Clay Championship?

Maybe if they looked like the Swedish Bikini Ski Team it would work for more than 10 minutes.

Dawg,

Without "trinket shooters" there is no ATA - so be nice to us. And surely no need for 100+ trap fields.

Don Verna

16. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Indy....Great ideas.

It's about time we eliminate the word.... Amateur... from the wording.

American Trapshooting Assn. sounds better anyway.

Regards....Gerald

17. undersluice

undersluice Member

Guys - My comments are not directly realed to this thread but more of a observation.

If you look at the program for the grand this year, they are going to use a 6 class system (AAA,AA,A,B,C&D) for classification purposes BUT all the options are being paid out on a 5 class systems. Thats kinda strange and may cause some confusions ? What do you guys think ?

THanks,
    JB

18. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Don,

I'd watch, but I see what you're saying.

Is there any way to shorten a shoot off and still give a single winner?

I saw this thread:

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=239817

Some liked it, some didn't.

Just to be clear: I'm only talking about the very top shoots, especially the GAH. There still needs to be lots of shoots for everyone else to enjoy.

Is oldtimer raising worthwhile discussions or setting off grenades? I wonder...

Good discussions if people can keep from killing each other over different ideas.

19. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

They tried this at a Grand in the '70's. Most of the Amateurs didn't enter.

20. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Hmmmm...... eliminate the word Amateur..... Maybe once you have reached a lifetime winnings total of more than X dollars, you are automatically moved out of the amateur class and into the American or Pro Class never to return. Kind of like the Olympics used to be. Had to be an amateur never been compensated in any way. Hmmmm.... That will leave the trinkets available for those that actually want them and not those who already have a store room full of them collecting dust. Shooters will have a decision to make. Are they shooting for the love of the game or as a source of income?

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.