1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MANDATORY EYE PROTECTION??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdognorth, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

Do most clubs require eye protection and is the rule strictly enforced? If someone refuses to wear protective glasses are they sent packing?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Based upon the number of shooter I see with no eye protection, I would say the rule is not widely enforced.

Ed

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At Markham Park in S. Florida eye & ear protection is strictly enforced. No ifs, and's or but's. You either follow the rules or you don't shoot. Why anyone would object to E&E protection is beyond me.

Eric

4. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

I know this isn't a danger on the trap field, but I was hit in the forehead by a chunk of target on station 8 while shooting skeet just a couple of weeks ago. It hurt like hell and draw a small amount of blood. Knowing my eyes aren't nearly as hard as my head, I was absolutely glad I had eye protection on.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

During trap shoots at Oxford Gun Club, eye and hearing protection are mandatory. If a shooter refuses, their money is refunded and they do not shoot. If a shooter doesn't have glasses or ear plugs the club provides them.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

The rule is not enforced. Shot at Sparta this year and LOTS of the scorers had no eye or ear protection. It goes back on the field sups, they have to enforce it! At the Ohio state shoot almost all had E&E protection on but at Indiana it was spotty. It boils down to what management will allow.

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Most of the time it isn't even an issue, since most shooters have enough between their ears that they don't have to be told to wear ear and eye protection. I was scoring at a league shoot a couple years ago when a squad of two adults and three kids stepped to the line. One of the kids had his eye glasses on, since I assume they were Rx, everyone else was without eye protection. When I brought it up, both of the adults got mad at ME! The guy in charge of the shoot let it go, but one of the adult was actually glaring at me and making comments directed toward me the rest of the event (after they were done shooting). Friggin white trash. I hope he catches a piece of 7 1/2 in his eye some day.

~Michael

8. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

ATA rules and By Laws, sect IV I. Safety # 16
    All persons including competitors, referee/scorers, and trap personnel must wear appropriate eye and hearing protection while on the trap field. Failure to comply may result in disqualification.

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Scorers without eye and ear protection????? Imagine the potential OSHA and Workmans Comp issues.......that's really smart'

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I know what the rules say, and they are wise, but ... shooting at dusk or in the rain, has anybody ever been DQ for pulling their glasses off?

Bob

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While hosting a winter league shoot at a local club a few years ago, I saw a very good junior shooter take the line without eye protection. I told him he had to use eye protection or not shoot. He grudingly complied but has never spoken to me since then and I saw him shooting at other clubs without glasses several times after that.

That's okay by me, I feel a whole lot better about him not speaking to me than I would if I would have done nothing and he suffered an eye injury.

Ed

12. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Toughest thing to conquer: Six inches between ears!!! Why would you shoot risking your vision!!! I was shooting and got hit by a piece of lead and it cut me slightly on the cheek, just think if that was an eye???? NO BRAINER, E&E protection!!!!!!!!

13. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

Bob,
    At the Texas State two or three years ago during a down pour they would not let us remove our glasses to finish the last part of one round.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If there is a rule, and there is, and you as a club don't enforce it then don't look for your Insurance Co. to bail your butt out if someone is injured.

Don

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

At Naperville the answer is yes and yes. We also give the Ranger Officers on duty some latitude as far as appropriate clothing. No shirts, No shoes - No Service applies...

regards all,

jay

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All the gun clubs where I shoot require and enforce both I and ear protection.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I had a piece of a target embed itself in the left lense of my Decot's...never shoot without 'em!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

The ATA rules require adequate eye protection. What form of eye protection is adequate for a scorer sitting 30 feet behind the shooters? If a person requires a hearing aid, is turning off the device adequate? Are my Decot shooting glasses adequate eye protection?

Pat Ireland

19. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I think part of the question here is employee related.....scorers...trap help...etc.

There is no ambiguity when it comes to hired help or public visitors or guests.....Shooting members are aware of their responsibilities and would POSSIBLY share in the responsibility.

Where you get into trouble is using silly conditional language such as adequate.....that's just asking for a legal battle, or was written by lawyers. Eye and Ear protection must be worn,,,,,,,,if its not safety rated as eye or ear protection...... it is not adequate.....period.

My electronics must be safety rated.....been there done that......It's rated or it ain't.....no adequate allowed.

"BE NICE"

20. shrek

shrek Active Member

the 4-H kids I help instruct must wear it, or they don't shoot period, and it states that in the document they sign at the beginning of the classes. I understand that they enforce it at their competitions too.

there are several pair of glasses and ear muff style hearing protection provided for them if they do not have their own.

There was one "smart guy" a few years ago that chose to not shoot rather than wear the safety equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.