1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Man killed while removing a gun from his car!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

The story below raises a question or two in my mind.

One: Why in hell did he have a live round IN a rifle IN a case INSIDE his car?

Two: Why in hell would you pull the rifle out with the muzzle pointing AT you?

Three: What would "Catch" on a rifle IN a case while pulling the case out of a car?

I took a look around the Internet but I could not find any recall notice for Model 760 Remingtons. I did find notices for other Remington firearms including Model 700's and 600 but nothing for a 760. Is anyone aware of a recall for this model?

This was also interesting in that one TV station, WHILE the news anchor was actually reporting he was pulling a rifle out of his car, had a news crawl on the screen AT THE EXACT SAME TIME which said he was shot by a handgun he was removing from a holster when he was getting out of his truck! That station can not even get its "facts" to match while reporting one single incident. Pistols and rifles??? Cases and holsters??? Cars and trucks??? How many other times and ways have they, and other media stories, completely blown truth and accuracy?

Another TV station read the actual address listed below BUT the on-screen graphic had a completely different address than what they were reporting!!!

From the Erie Times News

Crawford County man dies in accidental shooting

COCHRANTON -- A man was killed Friday when his rifle discharged while he was removing it from his car.

Richard L. Leonhart, 55, of the 7400 block of Pine Street in East Fairfield Township, was pronounced dead shortly after 1:30 p.m. at the Countryside Trailer Park.

Leonhart was removing a nylon case containing a Remington 760 Gamemaster from his car when the rifle struck against something, causing a single round to fire, Crawford County Coroner Patrick McHenry said.

The shot struck Leonhart in the chest, McHenry said. He ruled the death accidental.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091121/NEWS02/311219942

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I wouldn't believe the news report that the shooting happened the way it was reported. I'm not saying that this shooting was anything other than a tragic accident, but all cops know that when you read in the newspaper that someone was killed accidentally while "cleaning a gun", it's just a diplomatic way to describe suicide. Newspaper editors have qualms about posting suicide obits, so a story gets made up. Still a tragedy, though.

LA (ex-cop)

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many "empty guns" have a live round in the chamber.

Pat Ireland

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

What Pat says. A whole lotta family tragedies caused by empty guns, plus those caused by snapcaps. Normally I would mention the name 'Darwin" etc etc, but lets be honest...in most cases death seems a somewhat harsh penalty for a moments stupidity, and the families suffer. 'Never ever let your gun, pointed be at anyone'. Cheers-Graham.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If shooting yourself while cleaning a gun is suicide, what would this be...look at the time of the shooting.

MN: Deputy ends hunting trip by shooting wife

Hunting Accident File > Safe Hunting
    MN: Deputy ends hunting trip by shooting wife
    November 11, 2009

Roseau County Sheriff's Office: Deputy accidentally shot wife in thigh

The wife of a Roseau County (Minn.) deputy was expected to return home Wednesday evening after being treated in Grand Forks for an accidental gunshot wound, Chief Deputy Terry Bandemer said.

Bandemer said a bullet from a hunting rifle struck Michelle Cossentine, 27, on the top of her thigh as she sat in the passenger seat of a Chevrolet Suburban shortly before 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

Her 29-year-old husband, Deputy Nathan Cossentine, was checking to see if the gun was loaded when his pinky or part of his clothing hit the trigger, the chief deputy said.

"He had it laying across his lap, and it discharged," Bandemer said. "The bullet went across his wife's lap, right across her thigh."

Bandemer said the couple had just returned to their home south of Roseau when the gun went off. They had been deer hunting earlier, he said.

Just after the shooting happened, Deputy Cossentine reported to the sheriff's office that he was taking his wife to LifeCare Medical Center in Roseau, authorities said.

She was later taken to Altru Hospital.

The bullet hit only skin and fatty tissue, and the greatest concern was keeping the wound free of infection, Bandemer said.

The sheriff's department is investigating the incident.

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

How in the heck did snap caps get in the pictur? Post-2

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not to be crass but AveragEd was looking for a model760 in 270....,, here you go Ed ...dial 1-800-morons widows

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

As a gun dealer, you cannot believe how many guys brought their guns in loaded, to trade. Always blew my mind.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

GunDr,

An accidental shooting in Rosey at 1:30am. How much alcohol was involved and where was the flashlight/spotlight?

Why else would you have a rifle lying across your lap at that time of the night?

ss

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

12 gauge snap caps are much more dangerous than 28 gauge!!

11. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

The first lesson I learned at my hunting course was "treat every gun as if it was loaded". Best lesson I was ever taught about firearms.

Joe McGorman

12. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I see nothing dangerous about snap caps and I fail see why some people seem to think they are dangerous. It's the idiots who walk around with a live round in the gun, don't verify they have a snap cap in it, and then point it at someone when they pull the trigger. As a user of my own product, I first KNOW it is indeed a snap cap in my gun, and then I point it in a safe direction (never point it at anyone anyway) before I pull the trigger. Anyone who has shot someone or something with a "snap cap" is, in my opinion, someone who shouldn't be allowed around any firearm of any kind. My $.02 because I'm tired of reading posts from people who say snap caps are the most dangerous thing to plague our sport. Josh

13. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Josh, you're right. I know the difference between a live round and a snap cap. I use then to make sure the action of the old shotguns I'm considering to buy are functioning properly. I just don't point the gun at anybody while I'm using them, just a habit of mine I guess.

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Josh take all the offense that want BUT = snap caps plus a large number of shooters equal trouble. You don't hear of the near misses. It might be why the ATA had required that they be painted hunter orange. You can't control the idiot syndrome and that what's you have to work against. Make them ugly and they will be safer.

Don

One death or injury is to many.

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is the cheap jerks that use a fired shell as a snap cap that give snap caps a bad rap. It is too easy to confuse a fired shell with a live one.

There is no way a Krieghoff or one of Josh's snaps cap can be confused with a live round.

Don Verna

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Jolly - "I fail see why some people seem to think they are dangerous. It's the idiots who walk around with a live round in the gun, don't verify they have a snap cap in it, and then point it at someone when they pull the trigger."

I seem to think they are dangerous because I saw a TV in clubhouse blown-out by a snap cap, and I read here of a poster almost shot through the wall of his clubhouse by a snap cap, and I think they are dangerous because there are indeed idiots among us, even at gunclubs. But mostly I am convinced we all have bouts of idiocy. Now Jolly, why should I think you, or anyone else, has never done anything idiotic?

17. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I learned

THAT EVERY firearm IS LOADED UNTIL!

you have checked for yourself!

The part often overlooked is that if five people handle I firearm, ALL FIVE PEOPLE HAVE TO CHECK FOR THEMSELVES!

if one person fails to check that the firearm is unloaded, the system is NOW broken and everyone around is in danger!

And then you still treat if it is loaded!

Because if one person fails to treat a firearm as if it is loaded, even when they have proven that it is not...........

Again because ONE person not handling a firearm as it it is loaded the , PUTS everyone in danger!

Al Lingham

dklees thanked this.
  18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was at a gun store about a month ago and a man with a child in tow brought in a shotgun to pawn. The person behind the counter opened the gun first thing and guess what. two live rounds in the gun mag and one in the chamber

19. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

As I was sitting here last night typing my post, I had a thought. These people who have shot things with a "snap cap" should have just had the gun open to put their "snap cap" in. What if the ones who have had one of these incidents didn't think they had a snap cap in, but were merely dry firing the gun on what they thought was an empty chamber? Otherwise, they couldn't tell the difference between a 12 gauge shotgun shell and a piece of solid brass, or a piece of plastic or a piece of aluminum. If that's the case, then this whole thing of people saying snap caps are dangerous could be wrong. Maybe it's NOT having a snap cap that is dangerous. I really don't know, just throwing an idea out there. Josh

PS - mrskeet, I'm not saying I haven't ever had times where I've done something stupid, but I try to pay a little more attention when I have a gun in my hand...

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Josh,

I agree with you and everyone else that see's snap caps as safe. The only dangerous part of any firearm is the one pulling the trigger.

If they are careless enough not to check the chambers prior to dry-firing, then maybe they shouldn't be allowed to posses the firearm in the first place.

I'm one of those cheap SOB's that use a spent hull for dry-firing my shotguns. I can see if the primers are dented or not.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.