1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Man Killed By Shotgun Blast At Shooting Range

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by twoatlow8, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Here is a link to the story on CNN
    http://www.kcra.com/news/16871050/detail.html

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

hadn't read it yet but thought make it clickable.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

video...
    further update..
    updated

Apparently a case of a loaded gun being taken out of a vehicle... sad accident...

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hmmm...Loaded gun in a car/vehicle?

That's a 3 to 5 year vacation for the perp. Not to mention the discharge of the weapon.

Curt

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

MY GAWD ... its a freakin epidemic of killings.

3 different threads about 3 different accidental killings, its a freakin epidemic of death.

6. larryjk

larryjk Member

Landshark, I didn't read the Newbius thread the same as you did I guess. It was entered by Mr. and you replied to Mrs. I felt your comment was out of line.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This is a tragic accident at best and I feel bad for everyone involved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. 100straight

100straight Member

All accidental deaths are tragic, but there are on average 121 deaths per day in automobile accidents. I think shooting sports have a pretty good track record comparatively. The point is, we all stand a much higher chance of being killed on our way to the range, or on our way home, that we do while there. And, no one ever mentions banning automobiles.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Truly sad and my prayers to the family...also this should be a grave reminder that we hold the fate of our sport in our hands...not only should we make sure we are following the golden rules of gun safety, but we need to get extra tight and aware in policing our ranks...if you see questionable handling practices or a gun that you can't visually verify its condition...DONT be timid...approach the handler..make them open it and,or, prove its safe!!!

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

We aren't just holding the fate of our sport in our hands, we are also holding the fate of our friends and colleagues...don't be lax in practicing gun safety.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sad and tragic incident indeed.

However, I must fundamentally disagree with the statement, "This was truly an accident."

This was poor gun handling, pure and simple. Loaded gun, pointing at someone, and finger on the trigger.

Totally preventable, if the shooter had been following even one of the basic safety rules.

Target shooters (trap, skeet, sporting clays alike) have a great safety record, but so often we don't pay attention to the basic rules, muzzle control (where's it pointed?!?!), finger off the trigger, gun open and unloaded until your turn to shoot.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tim, I share your thoughts about something having been wrong with what ever gun handling was going on. Tragic incident to be sure.

Harsh reminder about why we have to follow our range rules and enforce those rules even though it may irritate some people.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It appears that some posters here aren't aware that this did not occur on the skeet field. It was in the parking lot, and apparently a case where the owner didn't know the gun was loaded. It wasn't intentionally pointed at anyone, the victim happened to be in the line of fire when the gun went off.

My guess is that it was an auto, because auto shooters (I'm one) often don't look to see their gun is open, because they assume it stays open after the last shot.
    I remember an incident at a sporting clays shoot where the shooter broke both birds of a pair with the first shot (permissible), and walked off the field with a shell chambered in her auto without realizing it.

As an aside, the Old Fisherman's Club where this occurred was one of the places the police were looking for the body of Laci Peterson.

14. atashooter

atashooter Member

Not skeet shooting .... Trap according to this report

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

dickgtax,

Not sure if you're apologizing for the guy, but here's my take on what normal, common safety rules were broken here, any one of which would have prevented this from occurring:

"It appears that some posters here aren't aware that this did not occur on the skeet field."

Where it happened is irrelevant. Do you stop needing to be safety conscious when you walk off the field?

"It was in the parking lot, and apparently a case where the owner didn't know the gun was loaded."

Treat every gun as if it were loaded. Never point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot! If he had treated the gun as if it were loaded, he would never have been pointing it at someone.

"It wasn't intentionally pointed at anyone, the victim happened to be in the line of fire when the gun went off."

Maintain muzzle control at all times. Never point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot! The victim wasn't in the line of fire. Small nuance, but that seems to imply the victim did something wrong here. The person holding the gun had it pointed at the victim.

"My guess is that it was an auto, because auto shooters (I'm one) often don't look to see their gun is open, because they assume it stays open after the last shot."

Treat every gun as if it were loaded. Open and out when you move off the station. Never point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot!

And what was he doing, with his finger on the trigger in the parking lot, while pointed at another human being?

16. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

You can't cure stupid.

Somebody will always want to lick an electrical outlet, or step in front of a bus, or jump off a bridge, or ride around with a loaded shotgun in the car (must have a quick draw technique I can only imagine during the car jacking). You can't stop it.

You can only hold it up as an example of stupidity and let others learn from it.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

My snivel and a heads up: I've been lax re. gun safety. I caught myself tightening a choke in my gun that I'd left in the rack. I did not move the gun, it was just in the rack and I tightened the choke before shooting and walking to my shooting post...I got to thinking; suppose somebody picked up the gun and loaded it (in error) when I was not observing? And then, worst case, left the gun loaded. I'd tightened the choke when the muzzle was skyward. I wanted to pass along my lax gun handling act to inform others; I forgot that anything, no matter how improbable, can happen and likely has happened in the past.

I also think that we must remember to keep hydrated in hot weather, dehydration diminishes intellilgence and awareness...factors that potentiate behaviors that can lead to an accident.

My snivel is: My local range has no range officer. A family came in and started shooting. One member filled out the safety form, then asked his family to join him...a non-English speaking family including young adolescent girls. What a mess..guns poined every which way, at us, at the shooters etc. A frightening situatiion.

The range owner asked us in the future to stop that kind of going on. We were ducking! This is a public range. Is it the job of the customer, who pays a lot, to also act as a de-facto safety officer? I think so in dire circumstances, but dire circumstances should not occur due to lax supervision on the part of the range. No safety officer at that range, trap kids poorly schooled, and an owner who won't listen..one trap kid, nice kid, told me that the owner fired another trap kid who was taking a break and cooling off 'cause he felt dizzy in the near 100 degree heat. It was not his break time!!! Come on, how safe can an infirmed trapkid be? The buck, unfortunately, drives this laxness out there, a range closest to where I live at only 12 miles away.

I hope that there will be an AD that doesn't hurt anybody, but costs the club some bucks so it finally wises up...all driven by the dollar.

I won't give the name of this club per se, but will state that it is "somewhere in California and is not a popular ATA venue."

It saddens me to hear about a tragic incident to frightens me to observe near tragic incidents.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Timb99: I'm impressed that you know the rules so well, but I don't see what that has to do with my post. I was simply stating what occurred, as best I could tell from what I read.
    I have seen shooters who follow every rule on the field, but when they take their closed gun off the gun rack, the barrel is pointed in an unsafe direction for an instant before they break the gun open. Or, like this guy must have done, he was done shooting, putting his gun in his car, and the furthest thought from his mind was that his was doing something unsafe. And it may be that he was a model of safety his entire life before this happened.
    Every shooter (except for Timb99) has inadvertently done something unsafe in the career. This one cost one life, and ruined another.

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Arguing among ourselves won't bring this guy back. The fact is somebody screwed up big time or this woudn't have happened! Now one life has been snuffed out and another ruined. Even if this guy doesn't face neglegent Homicide charges, just living with the fact he killed an inocent man(who he probably knew) will be enough to make the rest of his life a living lightmare! The bottom line is TREAT EVERY GUN with the respect of a LOADED GUN! Murphy's law will get you in the end if you don't! For the love of Pete, If you see an unsafe act TAKE action! Much better to have someone puffy and offened that a man or woman or child DEAD! We have been darned lucky over the years. Hopefully those of us on here won't read about this sort of thing at a gun club again in our lifetime. Remember it only takes a momemt of carelessness to cause a lifetime of grief!!

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yes..687EELL and I were very close to being a casualty of the same type of negligence...I saved my soiled shorts as a conversation piece...maybe I will post them on the gun club wall to have folks ask why? Might be a good way to bring up the topic of gun safety

To Rick: Glad we're BOTH still here there ol' buddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.