1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Man Arrested for Stopping Pranksters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JPSmall, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPSmall

JPSmall Member

Thought I would post an interesting news story developing in Albany, New York involving a homeowner that was charged with harassment and endangering the welfare of a child. The homeonwer came downstairs at 10:30 at night and saw dark shadows on his lawn and strangers loudly knocking on his front and back door. He ran outstide and chased the teenangers down the street, tackled one and brought him back to his house and called the police. At the request of the teenagers parents, the homeonwer was charged with harassment and endangering the welfare of a child, and the teenanger got off without so much as a slap on the wrist. The parents of the child have now hired a lawyer, have refused to drop the charges and appear to be posturing for a lawsuit.
    Truly an amazing and unfortunate story.

Google: Times Union and A 'ding dong ditch' clickfest

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=952723

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Read the article.

#1. The boy's father, seems to be a total tool and is probably th ereason why the kid mouthed off and made sexual remarks about the homeowner's wife when he was being detained. No respect for adults and authority.
    #2. The boy is a tool and got what he deserved. Ring and run and got caught, he deserves a little bit of "bidness" and a little more for his smart mouth.
    #3. The homeowner should not have chased the boy down the street and bring him back into his house, which caused the kid to mouth off. The kids are acting dumb, but... how many people played ding-dong ditch? He wasn't throwing rocks through the windows, they were acting like idiots like most kids do at times. I got no problem running out the door and scaring the crap out of them but no need to chase one down.

Old school was, you get caught you got your ass beat by the homeowner AND your dad when the homeowner drug you back to your house.

They all seem like richies, all got their lawyers, want to ack like a-holes then cry foul and sue when they get their ass beat a little bit.

Poor folk like me, my family, and neighborhood would have just taken care of it in-house.

My bet... everything gets dismissed by the first judge that hears it.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I remember the days when you went toe to toe with someone and one won and the other lost. End of discusion. No lawyers not court not parents. Now its the cops, the judge and the one who won goes to jail. Sad.

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bet it won't be the last time the kid, the enabling parents, and law enforcement will meet.

5. cle

cle Member

BucPride29...........

Dismissed by the first court????????????

You've lost track of just how whacked out our 'fuzzy-wazzy,' 'Hope and Change,' 'sweetness and light,' 'personal liberties,' 'civil rights,' 'ACLU,' 'Green Peace,' 'Al Gore,' 'PETA,' '"Everbody's a Winner,"' 'self-esteem,' 'self-expression,' 'personal fulfillment' world has become.

If the kid's lucky he'll get the 'McDonald's Coffee' judge and he and his lawyers will get rich. Then, you get to guess what will happen to your (and mine) homeowners' insurance.

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

At that age in my day I would have been much much more scared of what my Dad would do to me when I got home than the Police the homeowner or anyone else. These kind of pranks are not so innocent these days unfortunately times have changed.

7. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

its a sorry thing but things have changed, yes for the worse, for the most part young children (not all) young adults have no values or respect for any thing. iam almost 73 when i was younger my father was a police officer, if you acted up and got smart down town and a police officer saw you he had you by the front of your shirt up against the wall where his eyes were looking at your belly, when he droped you you knew how to say yes sir and no sir. in school if you acted up the teachers ruler came across your hand or the back of your body where ever, we were taught to hold open doors for ladys and girls, if on a bus get up and offer a lady your seat if they had to stand. when i got married the 2nd time my 18 year old step son smarted off, i corrected him he got up and threw a chair at me, i told him to leave the house and followed him down the hall way to his bed room, he spun around to face me the only thing i saw was his hand was above his right shoulder,( well i spent 10 years in navel special forces) i hit him so hard he went across the bed room blood all over. he didnt stay down decided he would try it again, well you know the results. he calls the police that he had been beaten up. the police had no other choice but to also take me down town, i appeared in court with him his real father was there also. the judge says if you where my son i wouldnt have went so easy on you as your step father did. the laws have changed for the good i dont really know if this is true or not

8. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I watched it before on news,3 lawyers were asked what was proper for the homeowner to do; 1st lawyer, he should not have opened the door and look out to see what was happening, then he should have locked the door,get on the floor and called the police and wait for them to come. I just loved that one.
    2nd lawyer, hearing them banging on the door, etc, run out, try and grab one while on my property, then called police.
    Third, house owner had no right to use lethal force, running after kid,knocking him down, breaking his front teeth, on someone elses property.
    They discussed it and then the info on the kid changed,his parents lied, first 2 teeth were knocked out, then 2 were broken, then chipped after all BS his retainer fell out.
    Police were absent on tv as these kids were doing this for sometime said the other homeowners and police did nothing for months.
    I never did that nor did I hear others do that HOWEVER, I was one of two rotten kids, she made me do it, on HALLOWEEN, pushed a toothpick in the side of your bell buzzer, broke it off and ran.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Prosecutor dropped the charges.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/24/prosecutor-decides-drop-charges-eastern-ny-man-tackled-teen-prankster/

Curt

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

As the man mentioned above, the laws and the courts are out of wack, so what would seem to be common sense is completely out the window. About 10 years ago my motorcycle was parked at a restaurant and some 9 year old spoiled brat of a kid jumped out of moms mini van. He then promptly jumped on my bike like a piece of playground equipment. I watched the whole thing through the cafe window. He pulled it over on himself and got a little scraped and burned. I called the cops and made a report figuring their insurance would have to cover the damages. The bike took about $2000 to put it back to new. The law called my bike an "attractive nusince". My insurance ended up paying the kids medical and my damages, of course my rates went up because of the claim.

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

call me clairvoyant, but told you so.

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

In the current times, it is really very stupid to chsse a kid down the street for committing the crime of being a "prankster".

I lived in NY for many years and that act would have jerked my pistol permit and if I did not have a permit, that act would have good enough to deny the application.

In a civil case, I think the homeowner is in for a major loss. think before you act.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you do something stupid. make sure there are no witnesses and no one can find the body.

Curt

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If the man who did the chasing had a heart attack or other injury due to the chase, one wonders if the kid's parents would have been sued or found libel?

I'm retired from the Los Angeles City Schools, 36 years. So many times, parents called "downtown" and lied about me to "help" their child. The sad part was, some teachers were empathetic: "The parents were just trying to put their child's best interest forward"...and that's the value being taught and how too many teachers thought during the past ten years.

(Twice parents lied about my work for gifted testing; said I made rude and racist remarks etc. if the kid didn't have a high enough IQ to qualify. I was apalled that kids receive this model from parents and more apalled that some teachers were just blase' about this behavior on the part of "adults"...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.