1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Malfunctions with a flat of Estates

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've used some Estates from time to time with no problems. I recently shot an event with 1 1/8 - 2 3/4 (edit) dram Estates and had numerous malfunction in a normally perfectly functioning automatic.

I figured is was the gun. Stripped in down and gave in a good cleaning. There was nothing obviously wrong. No broken parts.

Same thing next shoot, and found the same thing upon cleaning.

Since then, that automatic has been running fine.

Now I'm wondering if I just had a flat of Estates that were not generating the gas required to operate the auto.

Whaddaya think?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What kind of malfunction?

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Hang-ups, first empty not thrown clear of action. Malfunctions like like you get with too whimpy reloads or a dirty gun. Gun in this case was clean.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Clean the barrel ports? Any three dram load should do the job.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

My best guess for this would just be a bad lot of them not resized well, or maybe the metal bases were for some reason a bit weaker and expanded to the point of hanging up just a little bit, causing a small problem with your auto. Same shells in a O/U may not even been noticed. Could have also been the metal rim around the shells as well. I don't think (metal ones) are the same as brass ones due to the different hardness of the metals. Most of us should also know that brass snaps back, much better to its original size than metals base shells do. This can cause problems from time to time. Shells hanging in chambers and with ejectors in all types of guns from O/U's to Pumps and Auto's. Thats also why I will never reload a metal base shell. Brass only for me. This is also one of the reasons I reload over buying economys for the bulk of my shooting. I still consider Estates to be the best of the economys as well. Break-em all. Jeff

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Opps! 2 3/4 dram. But that gun has always digested those...new and reloads.

Ports were clean to start, but recleaned after the intial hang-ups.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've noticed some difference in Estates from lot to lot. I've lost track of how many flats of them I've shot mostly the 1 oz version but I think they may do like some other companies and buy their powder from more than one vendor. I've had some flats a lot dirtier than others I think they used slower powder and more of it.

8. oz

oz Active Member

FYI brass is a metal.....

9. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Come on now OZ. If you are gonna be picky about it, Brass in an Alloy not a metal and steel is an Alloy as well

Copper is a metal

Zinc is a metal

copper+zinc=brass

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rem autos are sometimes touchy with tighter chambers.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.