1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Making the Connection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

When you have worked on getting the right gun, making sure it fits, getting it to shoot exactly where you are looking, developing a consistent mount, learning where to look, using the same shell, and have confidence that you are proficient..... then why are you unable to break every target that comes out of the house? When you have broken every target that has ever been thrown hundreds of times then why can't you break 100 targets? It isn't because you don't know how, it isn't because of something in your routine or gun fit or method of breaking the targets.....just what keeps you from breaking all the targets you expect or want? Just why can't you make yourself connect with every target as you so desire to do? This is something I just don't understand, when others who are able to do this time after time and always seem to be at the top of the game and you have all the ingredients to do this same thing and are always coming up short.

I had a long conversation about this with Phil Ross and without giving away anything he teaches in his classes I wanted to know how to connect all the dots and be successful. He had some great insight as to how we can be more successful, he believes each shooter is unique and there are many paths we can travel to get to the place where we can achieve our goals. For me in our discussion, it was not in shooting the shot, but where my mind is and what it needs to be doing between my shots. I seem to get off track however slight and this is when a miss occurs. This is the time where my concentration is to remain in focus of what I need to do to make the coming shot!

Without ever seeing me shoot, Phil's knowledge of the game and his ability to explain the dynamics of making the shot is a good indication of what a great instructor he is! Thanks Phil, Biff

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Every target that comes out is a unique, separate event that requires its own unique response.

I figure the guy who hits them all is probably simply the guy who's most aware and in the present tense while the target is in the air. This is usually an experienced shooter, but every now and then, it happens to a nobody, too.

3. Phil Ross

Phil Ross TS Member

Hi Biff,
    Thanks for the nice comments.

Regards, Phil Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.