1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MAKING TARGETS MORE DIFFICULT FOR THE GRAND?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    In most sports when a major tournament is taking place the governing powers make the course more difficult than normal. As an example, golf. They lengthen the course, let the rough grow longer etc. What do you think of this idea to cut down on the numerous hundred straights. Either throw a 3 or 4 hole target, widen angles, increase speed of target. Would the ATA ever consider any of the above? Would any of you be in favor of toughening up the targets for the Grand American? Would attendance drop? By making the targets more difficult would the short yardage shooters have more of a chance in winning the $100,000.00 than they normally would?
    Steve Balistreri

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

NO,NO and NO

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Leave it alone!

Either change the whole process or none of it!

Curt

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It seems like every other thread is a person wanting to change the game. If poor shooters can't compete with the top shooters with how the game is played now are they going to do any better with harder targets? NO, they aren't so leave it alone.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's the randomness of this sport that makes it tolerable, not the things that were done to it by design. Maybe, this time when you go to the Grand, you'll get all straightaways and the Big Dogs'll get hard rights from post 5. it could happen. Let it rest.

6. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

Steve....I have witnessed what you describe in sporting clays many times......and I can only say this...........you will never help those with LESS ABILITY win by making the game harder.......

7. senior smoke

I believe a 20 yard shooter would benefit from having a tougher target being up so close than a 27 yard shooter, and would be more competitive especially in the wind. I could be wrong, but not all 20 yard shooters are new to the game and inexperienced. A lot of sand up near the 20 yd line, I know because I shot against some of them. Obviously a 27 yard shooter would seem to have it a lot tougher then a shooter up so close. I love the game, but as most of you know trying to change anything in this game is like fighting city hall and nothing will most likely ever change, maybe that is the way it should be. Why change something if it works? Although, I do wonder is the 2 hole and soft targets the way to go for the good of the sport????
    Steve

8. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Good question Steve. Would this also deter sandbagging. I know in sporting clays sandbagging is basically when you get started shooting registered clays, everyone starts out in D class but the punches vary per tournament. My friend and I have shot 3 and he has won all three, 2 in d class and 1 in c class, if he would win again he would be in b class. I just don't know how you would sandbag in sporting clays compared to trap.

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

of all the sports I have competed or participated in, Trap is unusual for just the reason that Steve B suggests...............you could attend the national championship and actually have practiced on birds that you would shoot in the competition. In comparison to golf, you could not probably ever get ready to play in the US OPEN by playing the local muni (you would never see the rough, the fast greens, etc.). If you change it one place, gotta change it everywhere.

d

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

leadhead358, Since the NSSA and the NSCA are connected if you have a class in NSSA targets you start one class down in NSCA targets. So If your A class in skeet you start in B class in Sporting at your very first shoot. Just a heads up on that. You can sandbag in any of the 3 if you want to. Just hold back your scores until a trophy,beltbuckle,or big money day shoot. Now just why someone would want to hold back all year, just so he can win on one day would take out all the fun in shooting for me!!! But how else do you explain multible 100's shot in D class with 2-3 more hundreds in the shoot offs for that class (16 yard). Come on how do you not notice that!!! Break-em all. Jeff

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jeff, I've never noticed it either. Could you give a concrete example of "multiple 100's shot in D class with 2-3 more hundreds in the shoot offs for that class (16 yard)?" I have all the Trap & Fields for a long time. All I need is the date and place. Thank you.

Neil

12. senior smoke

Hello:
    In most sports when a major tournament is taking place the governing powers make the course more difficult than normal. As an example, golf. They lengthen the course, let the rough grow longer etc. What do you think of this idea to cut down on the numerous hundred straights. Either throw a 3 or 4 hole target, widen angles, increase speed of target. Would the ATA ever consider any of the above? Would any of you be in favor of toughening up the targets for the Grand American? Would attendance drop? By making the targets more difficult would the short yardage shooters have more of a chance in winning the $100,000.00 than they normally would?
    Steve Balistreri

13. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

NO,NO and NO

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Leave it alone!

Either change the whole process or none of it!

Curt

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It seems like every other thread is a person wanting to change the game. If poor shooters can't compete with the top shooters with how the game is played now are they going to do any better with harder targets? NO, they aren't so leave it alone.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's the randomness of this sport that makes it tolerable, not the things that were done to it by design. Maybe, this time when you go to the Grand, you'll get all straightaways and the Big Dogs'll get hard rights from post 5. it could happen. Let it rest.

17. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

Steve....I have witnessed what you describe in sporting clays many times......and I can only say this...........you will never help those with LESS ABILITY win by making the game harder.......

18. senior smoke

I believe a 20 yard shooter would benefit from having a tougher target being up so close than a 27 yard shooter, and would be more competitive especially in the wind. I could be wrong, but not all 20 yard shooters are new to the game and inexperienced. A lot of sand up near the 20 yd line, I know because I shot against some of them. Obviously a 27 yard shooter would seem to have it a lot tougher then a shooter up so close. I love the game, but as most of you know trying to change anything in this game is like fighting city hall and nothing will most likely ever change, maybe that is the way it should be. Why change something if it works? Although, I do wonder is the 2 hole and soft targets the way to go for the good of the sport????
    Steve

19. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Good question Steve. Would this also deter sandbagging. I know in sporting clays sandbagging is basically when you get started shooting registered clays, everyone starts out in D class but the punches vary per tournament. My friend and I have shot 3 and he has won all three, 2 in d class and 1 in c class, if he would win again he would be in b class. I just don't know how you would sandbag in sporting clays compared to trap.

20. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

of all the sports I have competed or participated in, Trap is unusual for just the reason that Steve B suggests...............you could attend the national championship and actually have practiced on birds that you would shoot in the competition. In comparison to golf, you could not probably ever get ready to play in the US OPEN by playing the local muni (you would never see the rough, the fast greens, etc.). If you change it one place, gotta change it everywhere.

d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.