1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Making shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k1200ltc509, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Just use the search feature and you will have pages of material to look at. But it is a very involved process, you just don't buy a shotmaker and start making shot like with casting bullets etc. We are just getting into it, and there is a bit of engineering/fabrication to do. Some fellow had one for sale on here awhile ago, a complete set up to do it. If yo like to tinker nothing better than this "hobby". But their health concerns too. Rick Gibbs

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

start with a turkey burner and melt down some wheel weights into ignots. you need eye protection, full shield safty mask, I wear a respirator with lead vapor protection filter, welders gloves and welders apron. some muffin tins. I started making my WWs into ignots. this alone has put me off a bit on getting a shot maker. right now I get my WWs for free and find sorces to make shot out of it for me. I dont like getting burnt and you will. If you got time and space it can be fun and proffitable to a point. I feel if you cant get lead cheap say 70cents or less a pound the time and effort is moot. You could probably get a part time job and make the extra $$$ you need for shooting. I still would like to get my own shot maker. Even if it just sits around I may just plan on a big weekend of shot making a few time a year...we will see. do a search on scott k has the best info I have seen, also had a shot making set up for sale. Im hoping soon he will have a updated video of his new opperation!

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

its a big savings,but it involves alot of work,and like rick said there is alot of things to learn. in order to be successful you CAN NOT PUT A COST TO YOUR TIME, i love to reload,make bullets,make shot,and tinker around,so i look at it as a hobby.
    after you have your shot maker/cooling tank set up,you have to learn how to make the shotmaker work,i live in northern indiana(constant weather changes some times 20 degrees&dry to 95 degrees &humid),and my set up is not going to run like the shotmaker in so california,due to temp,humidity,and other climate conditions.and youll never stop learning with this hobby.any questions let me know,mark jones

4. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Make sure you are going to have a good stead supply of Lead -- the Lead is becoming more difficult to find unless you don't mind paying a high price for it -- the Lead wheel weights are going to be a thing of the past -- the Feds have mandated no more Lead will be used -- I believe that starts next year or the year after -- by the time you are set up your investment is going to be twice the price of just the shot maker or even more -- just depends how fancy you want to get -- Doug

5. 02

02 TS Member

Is there anybody making shot in Minnesota? I would like to learn from someone also. thanks guys

6. scott k

scott k TS Member

7. JWS

JWS Member

Bigunn;
    search on TS.com for "Shotmaking 101" or go to: http://www.thebettershotmaker.com or email me at jstewart1934@hotmail.com and we can chat. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to make shot. If you can grease a wheel barrow you can make shot. Those who attempt to make people think this is such a dangerous process shouldn't be cooking on a kitchen stove because they might get burnt. This is not something for children to play with but an ADULT with any common sense at all can melt lead and pour it into ingots without getting burnt. If you can't do this much then you shouldn't play with a shotmaker. If you haven't got enough common sense to make shot you certianly shouldn't be reloading and playing with a shotgun cause you might get hurt.