1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MAKING SHOT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

just started making #7 1/2 shot. my 9s were ok. my 7 1/2 have a littlr tail on some. has any one had this and knows the fix? it is not bad enugh to not shoot. better shoot maker, clean ww, antifreez with liquid soap. thanks charles

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Trouble shooting page on my Littleton says the shot is clinging to the edge of the lip when it teardrops. Insure there's no raised edge, clean it with alcohol and re-soapstone/chalk.

Buz

3. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

What is your ratio of antifreeze to liquid soap? Are you using the antifreeze to change the viscosity of the soap? Omaha

4. gnprts

gnprts Member

This problem is caused by not having the edge of the drip shelf coated with enough welders chalk or what ever you are using. When the shot reaches the edge before dropping in your coolant it sticks just enough to cause the tail on the shot. I have good luck with spraying the drip shelf with bullet mold release (I bought from Brownell's) after it has been coated with the chalk and is still cold.

5. 686

686 TS Member

I AM ussing the soap to thicken up the antifreeze. the dripper lip makes cents because it did it more on one batch than another. i did have the lip coated with jim red stuf, more on the better batch. ok here is another difference between the #9 dripper and # 7 1/2. with the 9s is they slowded down i just tap on the ft edge of the laddle and the drippers speed up. now with the 7 1/2 if you tap they will start to stop running. i even found if i had to much lead in the laddle the drippers would slow down. once while using the clean out tool, i blocked the oppening to the dripper in side the laddle and it would run fast but move it , it slowded down. you could go back and forth. i let it go a low as can before adding a 1 3/4 lb inget. i am new only 600lb so far. still learning. any welcom. thanks charles

6. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to use side walk chalk(crayola works best) faster to apply to the lip and 2 passes your done,but that is where the tails come from,mark

7. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Do not over fill your ladle -- keep about 3/4" exposed -- you are overloading your burner -- your lead need to maintain higher temp. for it to drip properly -- also are you aware of the problem with lead that contains Babbit (copper/tin) -- it will also cause the lead to not flow through the drippers

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Chalk/soapstone the lip to stop the tails. Sounds like you are cooling off the lead causing the slowdowns. I would put a 220volt 1500 watt element in that thing. I've found the 1250s marginal at best.

Jim

9. 1oz

1oz Member

Jim101 would you email i have a couple of questions i would like to ask you about your shot making machine . Remove the X's

thanks,
    jim

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

686 also the lead content can have an effect i had a friend give me a 5gal bucket of wheel weights they were mostly all small i am guessing they came from an import car dealer they must have a lot of babbit in them made shot that was 1/4in long they had a good pattern but it took along time to get them in the shell LOL rick

11. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Jim101:
    Aren't you using a Littleton shotmaker? I have heard this discussed from several other people, including Jim Stewart.
    You don't need a 1500 watt burner in a Stewart Shotmaker unless you are running double drippers. A 1500 watt burner in a Stewart Shotmaker is to hot for standard drippers and will cause your lead to first turn orange, then blue, and then you are cooking the Atimony right out of it.

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ellen, After making over two tons of shot, I think I've figured out what works for me. Yes, I'm using a littleton with double drippers running about 80 lbs an hour.

Sounds like you have goofed up a bunch, Or your just taking someone's word for it.

The 1500 watt heater works just fine on either. Just install a rheostat to controll the temp to match the lead flow and ambient temps. It especially helps the recovery time when you goof up and add too much cold lead to the ladle, Esp with the slower heat transfer of castiron.

Jim

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Question from a non-shot maker. Wouldn't increasing the distance from drip edge to coolant help matters?

The next question is what do you refer to when you say "ladle"?

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

There are times I do increase the distance between the two. If you get them to far apart it causes flat spots on the shot, when it makes contact with the coolant.

The "ladle" is the reservoir for melting the lead as it goes through the drippers. Sometimes called the bowl,spoon, etc.

Ajax

15. powerstroke

powerstroke Member

Hey Jim what type of rheostat can you use ?

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

One off an electric stove works pretty good.

Jim

17. 686

686 TS Member

thanks to all the help on tails on the shot. i cleaned the lip good coated with chalk this time. i did not have a certin amount of time i was going to run my shot maker but it turned in to 5 1/2 hrs. i only stoped because i rab out of cold collent to keep adding to my tank. it was making 50 lbs of good screaned shot per hr. this was 7 1/2 . the first 2 times i had some tails and and from 8 1/2 to 7 1/2 shot size. this time no tails and 90% 7 1/2. that is the good news, now the bad. the next day i only had 2 hrs of lead left . first 1 hrs every thing was fine, then started getting small to #8 then last 30 min started getting tails again. both days were from a 400 lb batch i made . do not know any thing i did different. i see now as some one on here said when it is runing good do not stop. thanks again charles

18. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

686, you may have the lip too close to the coolant. The coolant may be splashing/wicking up on the lip during the run. As your cooling solution expands from the heat you may have to adjust the distance from the lip to coolant. If you are having tails the lip is not releasing the shot, and that comes from the lip being contaminated. I've never used anything but soapstone, so I don't know how chalk would run but I think I would try some thing else as a release agent.

Ajax

19. k32

k32 TS Member

How do you get the shot to have a brighy glossy finish like factory made. Mine is
    dule and a little rough. ? Tryed graphite.
    thanks Angelo

20. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

angelo,i use a cement mixer,tumble it for 1/2 an hour,looks like black chrome when im done,mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

littleton shot maker makes teardrop