1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

making shot- how many lbs to make worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

How many lbs would one have to make a year to make it worthwhile. I am thinking about getting into it, but am only going through about 20-25 bags a year, maybe 12-15 of them being for practice, which is the only thing i'd use homemade shot for, and am not sure if it'd be worth it. Can get free lead so thats covered, but i'd have to buy a maker.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have everything ready to go except shot maker and more time. Im going to give this a chance see how it works out. seems like a good deal for me anyway

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?ThreadID=138719

3. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I would like to make shot also.I have a small 2 dripper unit I inherited that isn't cutting the mustard.I do have a reliable supply of free lead.I think I will ask for a shot maker for Christmas.The time to do it is the only thing I really don't have but I had better find the time at 40.00 a bag.Between work ,loading 3 gauges and several calibers and the time to actually enjoy the ammo I need an automatic unit.Put lead in one end and collect beautiful round shot at the other.

Darr

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

We made our own shotmaker and the whole setup for everything cost about $200. We have only made 1 big run with it and made 175 lbs of shot. Which at todays prices has already paid for the machine the rest is what we pay for the wheel weights which is $10 for 140 lbs which make about 100 lbs of good shot. We are making shot for $2.50 a bag from here on out.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Make shot for fun, and it can be fun. Do not make shot as a way to make money. If making money is your prime objective, get an evening job at McDonalds.

Making shot is messy, it produces unusual odors, it requires that you get small splatter burns on your hands, it requires hauling a lot of weight and storing 20 five gal cans of wheel weights and they do not stack well, it takes a lot of time and it is a great way to have fun.

Pat Ireland

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Ajax I must say you make shot as good as any store bought I have ever seen.I wish I could spend a day or two observing your process and equipment.So if you could haul it all down here I will supply room,board and even the lead.
    As many of your post as I have read it is great info but would be much easier if I could see the operation.I eventually will put together some sort of descent set up out of necessity.Because I am not going to stop shooting and at some point my wife is going to find out what I am spending on shot.Lol.

Darr

P.S. Again thanks for the bag of shot

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I agree with Mr. Ireland. It is not a way to make money but it is a way to shoot for less and have some fun with some friends. If you put a value on your time, you are in the hole from day one and will never come out of it. I looka at it this way: We currently have over 3 tons of lead in varying states of completion from raw weights to ingots to shot. I shoot factory shot for handicap. Home made for everything else. I sell my home made shot for $35 a bag right now when someone wants some. I apply that $35 towards a $40 dollar bag of West Coast. That factory shot cost me $5 plus the raw material to make it. Average cost of all the lead we have on hand right now is $.35 a pound. That comes out to $13.75 a bag for the factory stuff.

Jeff

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Darr, thanks for the compliment. Right now I don't know if I have a travel unit or not. I've really never thought about the concept. Probably one of the 5 gallon units might not be that hard to pack.

BTW-I shoot my shot for all events. After a couple of days at the pattern boards. I stopped buying factory shot.

Ajax

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- I think you have it figured out. It is fun.

Pat Ireland

10. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

If your time is worth nothing, and if you can find lead cheap or free, you can save a little money. If making shot is your idea of fun, you need to get out more.

11. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Shot making is fun, Esp if you have a buddy that will help and bring some beer. With a little help I can make 500 lbs a day.

Jim

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

avidtrapshooter,

Could I interest you in sharing your plans for the shotmaker that you built? If you would prefer, e-mail me direct, just drop the x's. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.