1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Practice Fun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BrowningGal, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

The theme of this thread is fun and conquering distractions.

I had a great day at the gun club yesterday. I was shooting with my skeet shooter friends... yeah, I know, but we were shooting trap. They helped fill up the squad a little so I wouldn't have to shoot trap alone.

We started at 16 yds, and I smoked both of them. Shot a 24 in pretty windy conditions while they were both in the mid-teens... and that was with my dove hunter friend, Esteban, taking two shots at every bird. I know it's against the rules, but this wasn't registered, and it didn't bother me one bit. I just waited for his second shot before mounting my gun for my turn. In fact, I was commenting to a new guy that I love shooting with these guys because if I can handle the distractions of Esteban double shooting (and missing) each target and Mario forgetting that chit chat sets off more targets, then I can handle any distraction at a registered event.

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. We moved the speakers back to 22 yds so I could practice handicap. I ran the first two posts, and then Esteban and Mario kicked in their plan. Apparently, while I was moving the speakers, they decided they would see just how good my concentration was that day. After the first two posts, Mario started calling for the target in Spanish, and the words were rather colorful. In the meantime, Esteban gradually worked his way through the barn yard. I heard a pig, rooster, horse, cow, donkey, elephant (must have been an exotic ranch), and what could only have been a guinea pig in heat.

I probably should have been mad at them for ganging up on me, but I was finding it too hard to control the laughter. I never had so much fun shooting a 19 in my entire life!!

So, how do you make practice fun?

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Sounds like fun. Doesn't sound like practice.

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Practice is as much work as shooting a match. Having fun, and shooting casually is fine, and we should enjoy the social aspect.

However, practice needs to yield improvements in areas where your game is weak. For instance, if you're having trouble with hard right targets from station 5, you probably want to lock down the trap, throwing hard rights, and shooting them until you have the target, set up sequence, lead, etc., all locked into your mind.

I don't have a lot of fun at practice, but I feel rewarded when it pays off in better scores.

Best,
    Dennis

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Well, in this case, I was having problems with distractions. So, yes, it was indeed practice.

When I'm working on fundamentals or a specific target with which I'm having trouble, I shoot alone.

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Certainly winning can be a big ego boost but at what expense. If you're not having fun what's the point. I'm fortunate to belong to a club where my friends and I can get together and shoot without any formality's. We regularly play different shooting games at trap and have a blast. "No pun intended."

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.