1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

making newbe's have fun too!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hehawboy, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

making newbe

Our club has beginner night every wednesday so here;s what we did!! Took some clay birds and filled the top of them them with some caulk line caulk and siliconed them shut with construction paper. What a blast to see the eyes of the new shooters when they hit them. So this week we're going to fill the tops with confetti and see what happens. HAs anyone else ever done this !!

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Sounds fun Guess what I am doin this weekend lmao I should have a few of them done to put in even for the old farts!

Jerry Lewis

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Let's see...<ul><li>Elmer's glue is cheaper than silicone and easier to apply to the top of the clay<LI>el cheapo baby/body powder is cheaper and more visible (being white) than carpenter's chalk<li>packing paper (the paper vendors stuff in packages) or thin brown wrapping paper is cheaper than construction paper and more circles can be cut out at one time.</UL>

The RIT dye company makes powdered neon dyes in pink, yellow and green. It shows up great but it costs $30/pound.

Keller

4. jrw136

jrw136 Member

What is the easiest way to cut the wrapping paper to the required size?

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Use an exacto knife and cut around the target while holding the target in place and you can also use the Walpaper blade that you can break off the the dull knife and that way you get a new blade.

Or you can put baby powder in the upside down target and use elmers glue on edge of target put paper on the glued portion of the target rimm, let dry and cut out later w/razor knife.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Use an exacto knife and cut around the target while holding the target in place"</I></blockquote>The paper discs are only big enough to cover the well on the top of the clay, they're NOT as big as the whole target. That makes them ±2 1/2" in diameter. The powder goes on the TOP of the clay in the center, not in the upside down bottom. If you put it in the bottom and cover it with paper you can't stack the clays on top of each other in the trap!

The crew at our club uses rotary cutters for cloth to cut the paper into strips and the strips into 3" squares 'cause rotaries are lots faster than scissors for cutting straight lines (but you need something underneath that the rotary blade won't cut; they use big white kitchen cutting boards). Razor blades and utility knives tear the paper. Then they stack 6 or 7 squares together held in one hand with an aluminum or masonite disc template on top and cut around the template with scissors to make the discs.

They put a teaspoon of powder in the well, run a thin bead of Elmers around the rim of the well, put a paper disc on the glue and press it down with something flat to press the glue into the paper; let it dry. Elmers glue is water based and the paper shrinks as the glue dries and makes a nice tight cover for the powder. A thinner paper makes for an easier break.

After the paper is tight, hit it with a couple squirts of orange line marking paint to hide the paper. Looks like it's not even there!

Keller

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes we have put red chalk in the tops and it brings a lot of excitement to the games

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have used the confetti but not on the shell. I loaded a few rounds with 1/2 shot and one half confetti. Shocked the heck out of my nephew when he shot them. Mike.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

We've done the same thing..

Also put it one off color target per 25 or 50 and if the person hits it its worth a free pop. Everyone hopes for the target but its funny how it surprises you when it comes out.lol

10. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

Ive made them but fill underneath.
    It worksjust fine. I scribe the paper wth a clay .
    Cut it out then make cuts along the outer edge so when you glue it down theslits fold over each other
    maaing a tight seal. They stack fine.

11. Unknown1

...curiouser and curiouser!

Use orange line marking paint to color the paper on top so it's invisible to shooters on the line.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.