1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Juno, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juno

Juno TS Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Rub some good ol goose oil on her.
  2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    If you are serious about doing this then you're looking for a true English gun stock oil - it typically contains linseed oil and carnauba wax.

It takes MANY coats - the first ones will give a traditional flat finish (as you now have), as it builds up a surface coating of the carnauba - then this can be hand finished to a high gloss (as in 'hand rubbed').

If you have trouble finding the oil send me a P/M - I have a source in the UK and can get it for you.

David D
  3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I got good results with Tru-oil.

First coat I'd put on straight out of the bottle. Dry and sand lightly.

Second I'd mix with about 25% mineral spirits. Let dry and sand lightly.

Third I'd mix about 50% mineral spirits. Let dry, sand lightly.

Fourth I'd mix about 75% mineral spirits. By now you're only mixing about 1oz of the stuff - just enough to wet the stock down. Let dry, DON'T sand.

Then I'd get the car buffer out with some nice polishing stuff - not the hard cutting stuff, but fairly mild car wax, and buff with a little bit of it. Buff off with a nice cloth.

Easy as cake.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.