1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Moonshine??????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hydra, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

To those who have made or know how to make moonshine I have a question to you all. The ABC people track gal jugs and suger to find who and where the still is. Why do the makers of shine use surger and not honey. When my father was young there was a man who took his bee hives to orchards and at the end of the year had 6 tons of honey to sell to who ever wanted to buy it. Using honey is untraceable so why not use it instead of suger?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Hydra, what makes ya think we don't?

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Her pappy was a moonshiner but I love her still

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

In Kentucky, every child by the time they reach the 8th grade, or 16 years of age, whichever comes first, is taught how to build a fire that gives no smoke and how to carry a 100 pound bag of sugar through the woods without leaving any tracks.

Ed Ward

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hydra,

You could make quite a bit more on the honey than the 'shine! Go to the store and see what a few ounces of honey sells for.

Although the 'shine would be more fun!

ec90t

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Tracking sugar purchases?<br>
    <br>
    "My name is Cash. That's how I pay."

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ed, those sacks of cracked corn don't walk over to the mash barrels by themselves either! Double or triple run mash through the still, aged in a charred oak barrel for several years will make you put back things you just thought you took! :) Hap

8. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Watch the Matt Stillwell video "shine". The old mountain man in the movie has done nothing but make the stuff all his life. And he knows how. His name is Jim Tom Hedrick and he is at odds with the movie makers because he was not compensated. He is an interesting character. I see him in the grocery store quite often.

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

ec90t is dead on. The honey is worth more than the white liquor is now!

Brian in Oregon, we are not talking about 100 pounds or so, to stretch the mash on a decent size still you are talking a couple of thousand pounds of sugar. Even the raghead running the 7-11 might notice a bit more sugar than usual going out the door.

Local shine from NC is pretty good. We have one guy (so I've heard ...) who flavors his product with fruit.

Bob

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

honey dont really do as good as sugar and it also has an off taste. If you soake the corn for 36 hr it dont take that much sugar [5lb to 10lb corn] that will get about 5gal to run. The yeast is the biggest thing to making good hooch. Also a little barley malt will make for some fine tasting drink. OH one other thing DONT let anyone tell you "THAT IS HOW IN COME OUT OF THE STILL" its BS ricks

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- As you well know, almost all shine is now flavored with fruit. It is less expensive to produce a quart of shine with apples in the bottom than to make a quart without apples. Making shine is more of a tradition than a good way to make money. Another illegal vegetable crop is much more profitable than making spring water.

Brian- Yes, the Feds can track sugar sales. About 4 years ago a small country store in Franklin County VA sold a few candy bars, bread and sugar. The store was the largest Domino Sugar retailer in the US. The owner was prosecuted. His defense was that people in his area did a lot of canning. He gets out in a couple more years and may open his store again.

I will be at the Dixie Grand in a few weeks. It can get very hot in Florida. If someone I know well thinks they might get thirsty at the shoot, send me a PM. I think the quality in Floyd County is superior to Franklin County.

Pat Ireland

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rocky Mount was definitely the capital of moonshining and may well still be. I have a souvenir jug from one of FCGC's Moonshine Opens where the cork was supposedly dipped in 'shine. Its no problem living in this area and wanting to sample some homemade whiskey.

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

All I can say is Golden Pond,Ky is just down the road aways from me. It is located in the LBL now, but years ago there was a steady stream of hopped up cars pouring out of there every night. Most bound for Nashville or Memphis.

14. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Its legal to make. Your car has to drink it too. doesnt say how much the car can have. rick

15. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Never heard of honey in the process and suspect it would not do weell. Dad used molasses in the old days. My first paying job was gathering 1 gal small neck jugs from the cafe's in town and selling them for .50 each to the bootleggers. I saved enough to buy a Sintnel Hi-Standard 6" pistol with the proceeds. $43 bucks at the local Western Auto. Still have it and it shoots just fine.

16. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

You folks need to get out of the old days. Sam's and Costco have 50 lb bags of sugar and who says you have to be truthful on the card info. The days of outside cookin are gone. A shop with a chimney and a stainless cooker is what natural gas was made for. Venting the smell above the tree line and who would know. A natural feed spring on the farm pumped in for cuttin. What better conditions would you need?

It's those pesky customers that brought an operation like this down in western Kentucky. If you could only make money selling to yourself.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The story I got was when Washington chased the moonshiners out of Pennsylvania with their Pennsylvania long rifles, they all went south. Then someone named the rifles "Kentucky long rifle". (circa 1790's)

18. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

honey dont really do as good as sugar and it also has an off taste. If you soake the corn for 36 hr it dont take that much sugar [5lb to 10lb corn] that will get about 5gal to run. The yeast is the biggest thing to making good hooch. Also a little barley malt will make for some fine tasting drink. OH one other thing DONT let anyone tell you "THAT IS HOW IN COME OUT OF THE STILL" its BS ricks

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- As you well know, almost all shine is now flavored with fruit. It is less expensive to produce a quart of shine with apples in the bottom than to make a quart without apples. Making shine is more of a tradition than a good way to make money. Another illegal vegetable crop is much more profitable than making spring water.

Brian- Yes, the Feds can track sugar sales. About 4 years ago a small country store in Franklin County VA sold a few candy bars, bread and sugar. The store was the largest Domino Sugar retailer in the US. The owner was prosecuted. His defense was that people in his area did a lot of canning. He gets out in a couple more years and may open his store again.

I will be at the Dixie Grand in a few weeks. It can get very hot in Florida. If someone I know well thinks they might get thirsty at the shoot, send me a PM. I think the quality in Floyd County is superior to Franklin County.

Pat Ireland

20. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rocky Mount was definitely the capital of moonshining and may well still be. I have a souvenir jug from one of FCGC's Moonshine Opens where the cork was supposedly dipped in 'shine. Its no problem living in this area and wanting to sample some homemade whiskey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

golden pond moonshine mash recipe

why do i only get 2qt of moonshine from 5gal mash