1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

making lead shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rob Bob, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Bob

Rob Bob TS Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Looking to make my own shot for trap any suggestions would be great.

Rob Bob
  2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Go to shotgunworld and search it there.. there is one topic on there with 745 replies about everyting you could ever possibly want to know.. better yet mash this link.. good luck
  3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Unless you have a big supply of lead and a continuous supply, I wouldn't mess with it. The law has changed (2008)to outlaw lead wheel weights and most States started earlier. It's hard to find wheel weights without Zinc in them and they don't run in the shotmakers. I started in 1987 when the tire shops would give you wheel weights just to be rid of them. Not the case anymore.

I suggest you hit the search and find more information on shotmaking.

Good luck,
  4. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

Dec 22, 2010
    I actually emailed James Stewart, the maker of the "Better Shot Maker" about using what kind of lead.

Below is his response

"Car Wheel Weights are the best; no stick on weights or trucks weights-these have alot of babbit in them that will clog the drippers.
    If unable to get a good supply of car weights you can mix soft lead (plumbers lead, x-ray lead, etc) in with the car weights (70% car weights to 30% soft lead) if making #7 1/2 shot. All other sizes are smaller than the 7 1/2's.
    If you want to make #9's you have to use 100% car wheel weights in my machine or your drippers will clog shut.

Some people are purchasing Antimony and Tin and using all soft lead but I do not know the amount of these items to put in the lead. I am not a chemist.
    Thank You,
    James Stewart"

I found this to be interesting after ohters said the same thing as above about wheel weights.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.