1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

making lead shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riss6270, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

Anyone have any good or bad news on making shot with a lead tower or shot maker? Any bad come out of using lead tire weights?

2. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

There has been quite few responses reguarding shot making. I personaly have made shot four 4 years and at this point I dont think it has helped or improved my scores. I use a shot maker. and use all kinds of lead. However, if using tire weights---- remove the stick on type and the zinc alloy

3. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

It takes alot of time if done right

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

good news, its not very hard but there is a learning curve. It need not take a lot of time. As long as you have some extra time. I make my shot in 50lb batches. I can turn on the shotmaker,set up,drop shot,clean,rinse and while it dries clean up put everything away about 1.25 hours.

Bad points....source of lead I get 90% of my lead for free. Wheel weights,range scrap and from the shot field on the trap range< this is kind of sucky BUT a good hour with a medium sifter I can yeild about 100lbs then smelt it down makes nice shot.

There are a few good threads going on here on TS.com

Also there is a good amount on castboolits.com, shotgunworld.com

Google shot making videos

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Once I get some power lines to the barn I will be trying a shot tower. It all depends on what the outside temp is. If its to warm or hot it will not work but if its to cold it will not work. The temp I was told is the high 50 and in the 60's will work well for size 7 1/2 shot. The tower for smaller shot doesn't have to be 200+ feet but 20 to 25 feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

making lead shot

making lead shot forums