1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

making lead ingots

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Would something like this work for making lead ingots?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20849&id=0002838210653a&navCount=1&podId=0002838&parentId=cat20849&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20849&hasJS=true

2. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

The best and least expensive mold for lead ingots, if your going to buy one, is a steel muffin pan in either 12 or 24 cavity....The 24 cavity is best as it takes less time for a cold ingot to come up to temp....A new one is between $3 & $10 at Willie World or even less at a garage sale but remember for lead ingots it should be made of steel!!!!....For storage, empty aluminum beverage cans work well also, holds close to 10 lbs each, just pour through the hole and rip the aluminum off at some later date.

3. mike31z

mike31z Member

The web address is to long for trapshooters. copy the link in the bottom of the frist thread it works. That looks good I wonder how durable.

Here the Item Name & number just put that into cabelas search

Lee Production Pot

Item:IH-210653

Reg: $45.99
    Sale: $42.99

Mike in wisconsin

4. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks, mike for posting the picture. I already know to use muffin pans, what I am asking is if this would be good enough for melting the lead. I think it says it melts up to 10 pounds.

thanks, jamie

5. 333t

333t Member

If you are talking about melting down wheel weights for ingots the Lee furnace wouldn't be a good choice. You need a larger (pref. cast iron) pot that you can dump wheel weights in to and skim the metal scrap off when the lead melts. The feed control rod on the Lee gets in the way of this and the pot is just to small. A cast iron pot at least 6" in diameter with a propane or natural gas burner is the way to go. Find a pot with a pouring lip so you can pour the melted lead in to your aluminum muffin pans. The 6 cavity aluminum muffin pans work great.

Phil

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

What type of furnace would you reccomend?

7. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

would a combination of these two things work?

http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1528&CATID=59

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_15490_15490

8. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to use a turkey fryer base & a 12 inch x 7 inch deep cast iron dutch oven,works fast,mark

9. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like to use a turkey fryer base & a 12 inch x 7 inch deep cast iron dutch oven,works fast,mark

10. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

11. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

12. 333t

333t Member

The burner looks ok. The melting pot doesn't have a pouring spout. eBay normally has several lead pots listed. Look for one that has a pouring spout on the top rim and will hold about around 20lb of lead. 6"-8" in diameter. A larger pot holding too much lead is not good either. Too much weight to move around and dangerous. Phil

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

your lee wont work very long if you melt dirty lead in it use the propane check in the camping sections of you magazines you will find a go burner cast iron pots work best but stainless is good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.