1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Making lead ingots

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave P, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I finally accumulated about 300 lbs. of wheel weights and want to make ingots. The last 200 lbs. spilled in the back of my van when I had to slam on the brakes or hit someone. Anyone having a van knows all the seat bracket wells there are and what fun cleaning them out can be. Any how, I have been shopping in our small town for biscuit tins for molds. The throw-a-way varieties are high priced as are the higher quality ones. Consequently I have been dwelling on the idea of using aluminum pop and beer cans cut in half for molds. Please give me your thought pro/con please.

Note: I understand the dross is to be cleaned out before pouring.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I found old cast iron muffin tins at yard sale 2.50 ea

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Muffin tins are the way to go.

4. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

What Mac said. Cast iron muffin tins will last forever. The cheap aluminum or tin ones will distort and burn through eventually. You should be able to find the cast iron one at a camping store if not at your local Wal-Mart.

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Don't get too carried away, Just go to wally world and get the cheap ones with the non-stick coating. I've made over 4000 lbs of ingots and still have the ones I started with.

Jim

6. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

I use the walmart cheapies too. If you use the tin coated ones smoke them up with a candle or other soot device for the first run. Cast iron would be the way to go.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I melted the lead in a propane heated Turkey Cooker, cleaned it as best I could and then transfered the molten lead to a Layman bullet casting electric furnace. In the second furnace, I cleaned the lead again. The Layman furnace dispensed the lead from the bottom. This kept the lead fairly clean. I used Layman cast iron molds. Each mold would make 4 one pound ingots. I dipped the molds after they got too hot in a 5 gal bucket of water. An enjoyably way to spend a Summer afternoon, get real dirty and have a couple of splatter burns. I have my cast iron molds and Lyman furnace around some place. I could dig it out in a month or so if anyone is interested.

Pat Ireland

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

mr. charles

i have visited him more than once myself and he sure does use the keep it simple approach.

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
4000 lb lead ingot
how to make lead ingots
loading lead ingots for sale
make lead ingots

making lead ingots