1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Making Add On Ribs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter TS Member

Just thought I would post a few pictures of some add on ribs we are making for another member (ouch) here on trapshooters.com. These are the first one's we've made, and wanted to get opinions.<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br>This picture is from when we were cutting the sides to width with a fly cutter.<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br>This is a side view of the nearly finished rib.<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    This is a picture of the nearly finished rib on the 870 barrel that it will fit. We still have to cut a notch out of the end, machine a groove, and put a taper in it. But you get the idea of what it will look like when it's done. These are made out of delrin plastic. Thanks, Josh.
  2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Looks pretty good. Does the bottom of the add on straddle the original rib or does it just sit flat on top of the original.

--- Chip King ---
  3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If it straddles the rib, you'll have quite a few customers!

All Good,

ec90t
  4. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Looks great! Let us know if you go into production.
  5. Jollytrapshooter

This one does not straddle the rib. It wouldn't be a difficult feature to add in if needed though. We are curious as to why it is a good thing. This one was built in about 2 hours to where it is, and will probably take another hour to finish. Thanks, Josh.
  6. acss

acss Active Member

what do you use to stick to the rib- i am playing with a piece of wood for dimensions ( prior to getting a delrin) i am using dbl back adhesive carpet tape- having a hard time getting good bond to rib matted steel surface- i really dont want to use glue as to not ruin rib finish
  7. rrose

rrose TS Member

the ribs look great. I have been wondering why no one has a delrin rib with slots, great idea. Another good touch is that they are thinner at top than at base. Any idea of what you will need to sell them for?
    randy
  8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Josh,

The ones that straddle the rib have a much more postive grip on the rib. They don't try to come loose in a soft case and are going to be straight when installed, if the grove is centered.

I had an 870 comp with some sort of Aluminum add-on rib that strattled the rib. I sold it to a buddy of mine.

The next add-on rib I purchase will straddle the rib. This is kind of trickey on a step-rib Remington barrel.

All Good,

ec90t
  9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'm impressed, Josh. Is Delrin expensive? Hard to get?

Neil
  10. Jollytrapshooter

Actually, the person we are doing the job for is the one who bought the delrin. I talked to him on the phone earlier today and he said that a little strip 1 inch tall by 30 inches long and .300" thick is reletively cheap. We aren't sure what we would sell them for yet, there would be a price difference in heights as they don't require vents after they get so short. Thanks for all the comments, Josh.
  11. hdskip

hdskip Member

Josh,
    That looks like nice work. Delrin can be purchased from a firm called McMaster-Carr.It's not all that terribly expensive.
    Regards
    Gary
  12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Josh- Add me along with Neil to the list of people who are impressed. It encourages old people like me to see energetic young men doing the things you do.

Pat Ireland
  13. Jollytrapshooter

Thanks for all of the comments. I've already gotten interest in making other ribs. Anyone know a good supply for beads? Thanks, Josh.
  14. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Subject: Making Add On Ribs
    Email: mvalley@rpt.coop
    Date: Wed, Feb 04, 2009 - 09:35 PM ET
    Website Address:

acss said "what do you use to stick to the rib- i am playing with a piece of wood for dimensions ( prior to getting a delrin) i am using dbl back adhesive carpet tape- having a hard time getting good bond to rib matted steel surface- i really dont want to use glue as to not ruin rib finish "

A good quality silicon adhesive works great for add on ribs. I have installed several aluminum add-ons this way and never had one come loose or have a problem. Just as important, they can readily be removed without any damage to the original rib. Just use a fine piece of strong string (fishing line is ideal) to "slide" between the original rib and the add on. Cuts the adhesive, but does no damage to either rib. The silicon itself will not damage the rib finish either.

Jim R
  15. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Nice looking rib. I have had Dave Berlet in New Knoxville, Ohio build me a few ribs out of delrin. Dave builds his to fit over the edge of the existing rib and uses double sided tape to hold them on. Dave will put any amount of taper in the rib to change the poi for you. Just tell him where you want the gun to shoot and he will build that into the rib. You can contact Dave at 419-753-2557 or DSBERLET@NKTELCO.NET if you are interested and want more information.
  16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Josh,

The rib looks great.

I talked to Richard a couple of days ago. He is looking forward to trying the gun with the new rib (after he riases the comb on the old, 870 stock being used for the experimentation).

Rollin
  17. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

I think you need to clean up the rear of the rib. The sharp angle looks tacky. Make a smooth flow to the receiver. Slanted posts would look better also. I use permatex to attach my add on rib.
  18. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

my rib is held on with 3M body tape most auto parts stores have it. its used to hold auto trin hasent moved in over a year and 2000 shots
  19. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Josh,

You can find any bead at Brownells (www.brownells.com).

Jim Skeel
  20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Looks good Josh, I'm impressesd, but I too would go with a longer taper if possible.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.