1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Making a profit on a shotgun deal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A friend of mine purchased 2 model 12 pigeon grade trap shotguns in the 60's here in Milwaukee at Marshall Fields. The receipts show that he paid $265.00 each for them. Another friend of mine is going to try and purchase one of the guns that has less than 100 rounds fired through it, but said to me that he knows what the owner paid for the gun, and it rubs him wrong that he wants to make a profit on this gun.

I asked my friend, so another words if you were the original owner that paid $265.00, you would sell the gun at the same price? He had no response.

If you know what a guy originally paid for a gun, does that bother you should he want to make a profit on selling the gun, or do you just feel that is part of business.

What is wrong with someone making a profit? Is there a rule of thumb on making to much of a profit? Personally, I don't think so. If you think the price is to high, don't purchase the gun. He wants a so called "friend's price".

Steve Balistreri
  2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Shouldn't be a problem, just find someone else to sell him one for 265 lol. Good luck with that. That was a ridecluous statement. By that logic, there would be no super x's selling for over 499, which I think was what they sold for new. I bought an old k-32 years ago for only 500 bucks, try finding one for that now. John
  3. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

Tell your friend that he should go to the local car dealer and that he wants to buy a "New" GMC Tahoe and that me wants to buy it for what it would have cost in the 60's and watch him get laughed out of the place!

A pigeon grade Model 12 in the condition you are discribing should sell today for $1000-$1500. I would tell your friend, that has the guns, that he should sell them on a web site that would allow him to get fair market value TODAY not 60's prices..... Making a profit is way things go around, except for some people who don't have a clue!!!!
  4. jls7522

jls7522 Member

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Of course he should sell it for what the market will bear. In Jan of 1965 the Dow was 903. Closed Friday at 12450. By that standard the model 12 should be worth $3650 :)
  5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Who care what he paid for the gun!!!!!!!!!!!! If you bought a 57 Chevy Belair convertable new would you sell it the same price? Or a 70 hemi Cuda? NO!!!

The fella bought it at that price back then, has taken care of them and well he deserves to be rewarded for spending the lil extra then.

Hind sight is a great thing, I wished I had all the things I had bought dirt cheap and parted with. Some things I broke even with and enjoyed others I made a few bucks on and some even a loss.

If your buddy doesnt want to pay the price then he needs to just step back and leave it go,not ride the guy for a better price.

My honest opinion

Jerry Lewis
  6. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

another obama voter
  7. Nutso

Nutso Member

I have a share of ENRON stock that I will sell at the year 2000 value.

Its all about the value today--your cost consious friend should know about apreciation. OR is he just internally cheap.

PS would he sell his house at a 1965 value?
  8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I told my friend that gun deals between friends sometimes result in a loss of a friend. I asked him if he saw this same gun at Gander Mountain or a gun shop would you think the price was fair?

He said the price is to high. I said walk away from it then. I told him if he owned the gun I know for a fact that he would try and get as much as the market would bare, friend or no friend.

I have seen gun deals between friends go bad, especially if the buyer finds out that the original owner made a profit on selling the gun to the friend. It is not worth losing a friendship over, just my opinion.
    Steve
  9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

I have bought guns with the hanging tag still on the gun. What they paid for it back then is what they paid for it. I have had people do the samething when I had to sell one or two of them. I'm nice at first and laugh with them. I then say that was the price back then. The third time I'm not so nice.

If he is that GREEDY over him making a profit then he needs to go look some other place for a gun. Thats life and thats gun business.
  10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

A fair price considering current value is the expected norm with me whether buying or selling...I would not gouge a friend or a stranger.
  11. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I have some personal guidelines that I live by that apply here.

1. Never do business with friends or family. If you sell them something for less than you wold have otherwise, you lose your investment. If you sell it to them at full price you lose their friendship. Neither is worth the outcome.

2. You cannot undo the past. What ever has transpired in the past will be that way forever. You have absolutely no control over the past. But, you do have control over the future. Make your choices carefully so that when you do something and it then becomes a past act, you will be able to live with the choice you made.
  12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tell him you'll sell him a 60's gun if he sells his 60's house for what he paid for it.
  13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What a dumb ass. Do the dollars we have today have the same buying power as the dollars of the 60's? What a dumb ass. Did I say what a dumb ass?
  14. gun1357

gun1357 Member

I still have most of my guns but I can't think of one time someone resold one later at a loss. I did sell a Browning Broadway to a friend for $225 and years later when he was through shooting, he gave it back to me. It has been up-graded and is my favorite "shooter". No bad memories from gun deals. Ron
  15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I buy and sell guns. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't make a profit. I have sold several guns on TS.com for less than what I really wanted for the guns but to me it meant keeping a shooter active. Recently a person came to me and wanted to sell an old Citori and wanted $250.00 for it. I bought it and cleaned it up, did a simple refinish and a person offered me $600.00 and I sold it. I didn't feel bad about it as I paid the asking price and sold it for what an individual offered. I don't know of any gun that is worth less than it's initial value. I bought a 1100 in 1965 for $92.00 and it is in excellent condition and have turned down $800.00 for the big frame 20 gauge. Jackie B.
  16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Active Member

Tell your friend with the gun, he needs to find a true friend. Why let him know what you bought it for. That should never matter. It is what I pay for it, that counts. You could still get a deal on the gun, but if not good enough, have him sell it to somebody that is willing to pay the price to obtain it.

He should sell it to someone else and tell the guy he was right, I sold it to the guy that gave me the first offer for $265. That would really piss him off.
  17. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

If any of u older guys had the money 40-50 years ago would u buy as much as u can and hd on to it if u woulda knew prices are this high today?
  18. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

Tell him to trade even up for bags of shot or factory ammo, at 1960 prices...
  19. skydiver

skydiver TS Member

For your friend to make a profit he needs to sell gun for at least $1916.77. Than annual rate of inflation 1965 to 2012 was 4.3%.
  20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Profit is what makes us all able to eat & survive!!! I never sell guns to friends for that very reason. My best guess is the guy trying to buy it would sell it for a profit and thats the only reason he wants it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.