1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Makers Mark 46 ...your opinion please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

i'm a big fan of wt rare breed but a friend of mine is trying to talk me down to mm 46. what are your opinions of the two? thanks

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Both are excellent sippin' whiskey. MM has a bit more of a smokey undertone, which I happen to like. Hard to go wrong with either...matter of fact I'm heading for the cabinet now...

Bob

3. gridlock

gridlock Member

We need TCR1146 and Dr.G to chime in on this. Lets hear it from you boys.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think it is very good but have friends that do- it isnt smooth as it should be

my opinion

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Have you tried Gentlemans Jack by Jack Daniels? Not bad stuff. IMHO

Matt

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Crown Royal Cask 16 ,pour that other junk down the sink!!! Jeff

7. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I personally like all the Makers Mark products. I have also taken a liking to Scotchs and love the Macallan products. I like the idea of the single barrel, single malt, etc. Seems to be a challenge to the makers. Remember all the world is math or chemistry!

Courtney

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I really like both. As Bob Schultz stated, the Maker's Mark has more of a smokey taste. I love the Wild Turkey Rare Breed, but at 107.5 proof....it is easy to let it slip up on you. I prefer the Maker's almost everytime.

Matt

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

+ 1 for makers mark, One fine sipping whiskey.

Jim

10. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

They are both great. Dont forger buffalo trace. It's my favorite.
    Jimmy

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Gridlock is right! Doc G is a gourmet while I have been partaking quite a bit of Kentucky Tavern at $15.99 for 1.75 liter(plastic bottle)! However, all Maker's is fine! I still want to try the single barrel Jack Daniels! Also, love the Knob Creek stuff that zoltan promotes! If you want to walk on the wild side, the Bushmill $100 fifth stuff (Irish whiskey) is unbelievable! Tom Rhoads

12. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Thumbs down and I live in KY.I like the regular much better. Much better options IMO. Get a chance, try Elijah Craig 18yr. You wont be sorry!

Dan

13. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

BOOKER NOE'S ALL THE WAY!!!!

14. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Nobody has mentioned Rebel Yell!!! You havent lived till you sipped Rebel Yell, One sip and you will be born again! Richie

15. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

If you want a "good" Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey try Woodford Reserve. It usually runs in the low $40 range and you'll be hard pressed to find a better one at that price. Woodford’s Maple wood finish Reserve is superb.

Scotch is a different story altogether, single-malt is the only way to go in my opinion. They are too many to list. The sky is the limit price wise. Some of my favorites are the 17 and 25 year old Glenfarclas. Glengoynee’s “Scottish Oak” wood finish is very smooth. Just about any of the Murray McDavid limited releases are great. A 10-year old Lismore is a good single-malt that usually runs less than $20 a bottle.

I love scotch, straight up, but Woodfords is worth trying at least one, you won’t regret it.

Cheers,

Pat

16. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Makers Mark is great. One of my good bud's refers to it as "Mother's Milk." I used to drink Rare Breed in my 20's (which was quite a long time ago) and as best as I can recall (very foggy) it was excellent...but way too strong for me these days. One of the guys at deer camp swears by Jim Beam "Black." We have conducted several blind tastings against many of the premium "small batch" bourbons including MM 46 and the JB Black won every time...and it costs a fraction of the price. I thought that was the end of the discussion until I heard about another blind tasting (at a very exclusive shooting club) where the least expensive bourbon beat all of the big $$$ stuff. I have been drinking it ever since. At $24 for 1.75 liters (in PA) it feels like I'm stealing. Oh yeah...it's Evan Williams "Black."

17. skeetman77

skeetman77 Member

I have to say that I like almost all of the bourbon's listed above. However my absolute A#1 favorite it BOOKERS. But it will put you to bed early if you aren't careful...

18. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

As far as Scotch goes, I have tried them all and for the money J.W. Black is as good as it gets. I've had the Green, the Gold and the Blue (which is as close to sex in a bottle as it gets) but the Black is it. As far as single malts go, I think they are greatly over rated. Just my humble opinion.

19. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

MM is OK, but I second WinAA's opinion of Rebel Yell. It used to be difficult to buy it north of the Mason-Dixon. I had to smuggle it in.

LA

20. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

As far as Scotch goes, I have tried them all and for the money J.W. Black is as good as it gets. I've had the Green, the Gold and the Blue (which is as close to sex in a bottle as it gets) but the Black is it. As far as single malts go, I think they are greatly over rated. Just my humble opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.