1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Make your own overshot card for 12 ga.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by heath, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heath

heath TS Member

Has any one made their own Overshot Cards for 12 gauge?
    If so how did you make them and how did they work for you?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have known several shooters who, in the past, made the over powder wads with punches. A sharp edge is easily made on the end of a proper diameter pipe. Punching out the filler wads is the difficult part. Rather than trying to punch these, the proper thickness of a folded paper towel will work as well.

I will not ask why anyone would want to go back to paper/filler wads.

Pat Ireland

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If your going to use any amount then I would just buy a box from Ballistic Specialties in MN.

4. 100straight

100straight Member

I make my own. You need an empty 16 gauge hull with a steel base. First deprime it. Then using pliers, hold it over a heat source (I use the kitchen stove) until you can pull the plastic hull from the steel head (be careful, the plastic will cause a nasty burn if you get it on you). Use a #10 machine screw about 1" long and star lock washers, insert the machine screw through the primer hole, and place a nut on the outside. You may need to play with it a little to get it centered as best you can (actually, if you use a 1/4 machine screw you will need to open the primer hole ever so slightly, but it is easier to get it centered). I chuck this in a drill using the exposed threads of the machine screw, and then while the drill is running, hold a file to the outside edge to sharpen it. I use an old scrap piece of 2x4 or other wood as a cutting backer, and from my old primer cartons I cut thousands of overshot cards. As it gets dull, just use the file to resharpen. Some of the wads get stck in the cutter, buy you can use a little screwdriver to pop them out.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. heath

heath TS Member

I want to make my own overshot card for many resonas .
    One is I want to use a fast burning powder, but that gives you a lower charge weight.
    The lower charge weight means less volume and a need for an overshot Cards.

The reason for not buying already made overshot card from places like Ballistic Products.
    The cost of the cards and shipping, it would be easier to buy a powder that would take up more space and would be slower burning.

6. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I use a 5/8" dia gasket punch ( pipefitters use the punch in making gaskets for pipe flanges ) usually cost a few dollars . Use a good magazine 'cause the paper is stronger and a piece of 2-by and don't pay for "papers".

To use in progressive presses , put a small pile of the papers near the wad container , pick up a wad with the thumb and "tall-man" , moisten the pointer , touch a paper (it'll stick), pass the paper over the case (with shot in place), catch the inside edge of the mouth and the paper will usually fall right into place .

For SS presses , read between the lines .

Really good when working on new loads .

Charlie

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A few guys here are making filler wads with punches. the more sophisticated ones are hollow with a cutaway so the disks come out by themselves as you go along.

My pal Butch made his from styrofoam meat trays like in the grocery store. He had a piece of butcher block to beat them out on.

HM

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I use an old dehorning tube from my ranching days and cut them out of styrofoam meat trays. It is hollow, sharp, and has the cutaway area in the side to remove the wads. AJ

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Boy, my first post was off. I read this thread as making cardboard over powder wads. At one time, that was the best we had.

Pat Ireland

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Heath,

What powder are you using? I can't imagine a powder being any denser than Titegroup.

ec90t

11. heath

heath TS Member

The powder that I am interested in using is Titegroup.
    From what I have read on Threads here and from bushing charts you’ll have to take up some space.
    I am see more replies about filler wads than overshot cards – why?

12. halfmile

Mash the link, can't go wrong for $2.99. 3/4 inch size should be about righe for 12 guage.

HM

13. heath

heath TS Member

No, Ron
    I am interested in more in overshot cards.

Why are there more replies about filler wads than overshot cards?

Are Filler wads and overshot cards both good methods of taking up space do to small powder volumes?

14. halfmile

Filler wad is better, put it in the bottom of the shot cup. Overshot card will tumble and upset the pattern.

HM

15. will BT100

will BT100 TS Member

The best and easiest filler wad drop a couple of cheerios in the bottom of the cup, works great.

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doesn't the wad over the primer under the powder make problem with ignition? I bought a bunch at a farm auction along with a lot of other stuff. The farmer reloaders hang onto everthing it seems. Compliment, not criticism!

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Heath,

I,ve been reloading Titegroup for a couple of years now and haven't found a need for a card. I've loaded 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads and haven't had a single crimp problem. For that matter, cold weather performance hasn't been an issue either. You just to have to retrain yourself on your loading practices. 1oz wads are the norm for 1 1/8oz loads.

If you are reloading Remington hulls, use a TGT-12 wad instead of a figure 8 wad. Hodgdon says that they will interchange without any pressure problems. The TGT-12 is a little taller and will make up for the lack of powder bulk. I have also used the Green XL-1 Downrange wads without any problems. The data for the XL-1's was provided by Downrange.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge overshot cards

how to make overshot cards

making overshot cards

over shot cards
overshot card
overshot card punch
overshot card punch size

overshot cards