1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Make a barrel?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I have kind of a fun project I'm thinking on doing. Does anyone know of a company that can manufacture a barrel from scratch? Thanks, Mike.

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

What kind of barrel? Shotgun, rifle, rifled shotgun, cannon, pistol, etc?

3. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Sorry, I am looking to make a shotgun barrel, although blizzard a cannon does sound interesting. Mike.

4. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

You can do it, but it is a LOT of work, and VERY expensive.

I made a 30/30 barrel for a TC Contender one time but I used a section of 30/06 barrel for starters...I made the block on the bottom side of the barrel seperate and designed it with a lug on it that keyed into the underside of the barrel, then had the best welder I knew at the time, silver solder it to the barrel.

It worked out fine, but I wouldn't sell it because of liability concerns. When I sold the gun, I cut the barrel up on a band saw and discarded it.

I think that if someone who is a journeyman machinist or tool make has the equipment of a machine shop at his disposal, and is not too concerned with how long it takes, then yes, it can be done, but why?

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Mike, Cannons are easy. Let me know............

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

PerazziBigBore- Any suggestions about how to drill a straight hole 12 feet long?

Another question, that probably interests only me. How are long cannon barrels made? Are they drilled, cast, forged ?

Pat Ireland

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Pat,this ones for you. (click above)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.