1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Major price increase on ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Just opened my email on pricing for Fiocchi shells. I fell off the chair. They are raising dealer prices $8 to $10 per flat on dealer cost. I am sure the other manufacturers are going to follow suit. Better buy you factory ammo now no matter who makes it. I will be stocking up on reloading supplies myself.

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I was at cabelas over the weekend, they raised the prices on factory ammo 50% (what was $9 last week was $15 this week). They hadent yet raised the price on reloading components so I bought some of that, then ran home frantically to order ammo online before the price increase.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I didn't think anyone bought ammo or reloading components at Cabelas or Gander Mountain! They have the highest prices you can find!

Jim Skeel

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Zero sales will have no affect at all at Cabelas. Ammo and reloading supplies are not what keeps their doors open. I really don't think they care at all if they sell any of this stuff. Less work to just keep the same stuff on the shelves. Guys look at it while their wives/girlfriends buy the clothes.

cap

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you notice, Cabela's will price match. I got a great price on winchester 209 primers a while back. I also cleaned their shot out when I had an advertised $30.00 a bag flyer a couple years back. Try the price match if you got a good flyer from someone else. Worked for me in Michigan.
    Clyde

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Hey, Rick. I think you misspelled "Clueless".

7. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

A price increase from $9 to $15 is not a 50% increase, it's a 66.7% increase.

Wow!

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Aaa, come on, a 50% increase? Based on what? The price of materials hasn't gone up THAT much in the last few months. Up yes. Up 50%? Nope. Jim

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This fuel price excuse needs to be looked at realistically to see it's just another excuse to jack up prices.

Take a semi load of ammo, or shot......even if fuel doubled the net affect on each box or bag would be minimal.......don't fall for that song and dance.

I had one of my venders try that with products I was buying, they claimed that it was because of the cost of steel rising......now when you raise the price of an item 50.00 that only had about 12.00 worth of steel in it, someones BS-IN ya. The company was a large player in the industry, they had even moved their manufacturing off shore.....I went shopping, bought the same quality product, or better, made in the USA for about 40-60% less.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

OK. I have components for 10 thou reloads. bought that stuff as best I could and because it is mostly premium stuff the cost per bullet is about $4 a box. A little less, but not at the near $3 a box I have done in the past. So that is $40 a flat.

But now, most of the shell mfgrs are giving discounts and that includes Federal. So, now I can (and have) purchased 10 flats of Fed Papers to use for this years ATA hcp rounds. Not singles, as I have enough good stuff around for that and will shoot 1 ounce. But follow this and you can duplicate this if you sniff around.

I'm paying $76+tax for a flat of Feds. or about $81 a flat. Fed will give me rebates of $20 a flat for up to 5 flats. So I find another address to get the other 5 taken care of. So, $81-$20= $61 a flat. And then I will sell the once fired empties for a nickel a piece further reducing my cost by $12.50 per flat. Now I am shooting Federal's best for $48.50 a flat.

The shell distributors have these deals.

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

We do the same thing here in Delaware (except this state has no sales tax). It's good to have nice neighbors.

Curt

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Fuel prices will stay high or climb higher. The environmentalists and the administration want to reduce (stop) the use of fossil fuels and will do anything to make that a reality includinmg keeping Libya a stalemate. Now the Saudis are cozying up to China. Isn't that great?

The actual "price" of oil does not have to increase for us to see higher fuel prices.Infl;ation will take care of that. As the value of the dollar continues to drop, it will take more dollars to buy a barrel of oil. That's what inflation will do and, once the effects of the Federal Reserve's Quantitative Easing (cheap money) policy sets in, oil will be cheap at $200/barrel.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Manufacturers in every industry are trying to get the profit line up so they can pay taxes and obumacare. Mototrcycle batteries have about 2 lbs of lead in them. Last year the price went up over $20.00 and they blamed it on the cost of lead. OK, the lead cost $1.20 more per battery, what gives with the other $18.80?

I think the bottom line is that our money is rapidly becoming valueless. Soft markets have made labor valuless too, wages are dropping out also. I was offered a job last week at a local factory. Senior Master electrician, instrument and controls/robotics background, 30 years in the industry, college degree. Starting pay was $10.65 per hour, 24 hours on call, no benefits until 12 months where you pay $600 per month for your half of the benefits. You can make better money than that selling lemonade at the carnival. Who is going to pay the bills?

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I just got a notice in yesterdays mail, shells are up $8.00 per flat and going up again the 1st of the month ... Gas has been going up almost daily, don't even want to talk about the price of food ... Obama's changes weren't supposed to include all of this and higher taxes also were they ..? Glad we just loaded up on shells last month and they weren't a deal then ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Where is the rebate for Federal Papers? I looked around, but only seems some turkey loads and gold medals are on promo.

16. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

You can buy Federal Gold Medals in either plastic or paper hulls. Garrett

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ahhhhhh ha! Ok thanks

Bigger problem is tracking it down. One shop sells Federal Targets, Dicks sells Rem Gun Clubs and Walmart doesn't stock and that's it! If anyone has STS or AA's, there is usually only a box or two and its over $9/box. I have no clue where to get any of the premium ammo locally for a decent price.

18. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Ammo is a better investment than gold, possibly better than silver and much safer than the stock market...

19. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

The Walmarts here (last Friday anyway) have AA, STS, or Nitro for $7.57.
    In light of the way things appear to be going that may be cheap.
    Get your $20.00 per flat rebate & you are at $5.57 plus tax.
    Seen Federal Game Loads (1 oz.) for $4.69 also.Colonel

20. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Gas prices - way up and going higher,

Lead prices - way up and going higher,

Copper prices - Way up and going higher.

There are more ammo prices increases coming as manufactures try to recoup lost margin $.

I would buy a years worth of ammo right now, you'll save 15%-20% if you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.