1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Major Network Coverage for $100,000 Shootoff?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

What's the possibility of one of the Major Networks or a Sports Network carrying the ATA/Martin's Handicap Champions Shootoff? Is anyone in the ATA working on something like this, seems like it would generate some publicity for the Grand and Sparta. Don't know if this has been suggested yet or not. Biff

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Floyd Schneckenfurter of channel 32 news in Sparta will have a little blurb about it at 11PM (after the crowning of the 4-H Fair Queen).

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Where do suppose they will get a film crew to who wants to be around all those people with guns first off and then it be in Sparta ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. biff

biff Active Member

Well to name a few, how about CNN, CBS, or ABC, those are major networks watched by people that possibly need to see other events in the real world.

I would be more than happy to help write the program and help build the suspense all during the Championship Week and being sure to do profiles of each of the contestants and their families. I know I could work this in between the events I plan to shoot! Biff

PS: Buzz, the local stations could be carrying this from start to finish, heck even the ATA Publicity Film Crew could loan them some of their footage during this shoot and from the Archives going back to the films the Grand at Vandalia!!

5. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

How about versa they go to the shot show shot standing for SHOOTING, Hunting, outdoor, trade show but ever since they took over OLN they don't have any shooting shows.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a feeling that most news agencys are not as passionate about covering shooting events as most shooters are ... Now if something happened out at the Grand like a God Forbid a shooter getting shot, a few guns blowing up, Motorhome fires, score keepers going Postal on some shooters, etc. they would be all over it ... If the news is something that the news agencys cannot dramatize they don't want any part of it ... Watching a trapshoot is like watching paint dry or grass grow unless you are in it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

A $100,000 prize is not a big deal to major TV networks. They don't even bother to show someone missing a three foot putt which many times turns out to be more than that. TV networks cover events because of ratings and interest in the sport by viewers.

Mark

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

And trapshooting is not that interesting to watch.

DoubleAuto

9. over/under

over/under Member

Maybe ONN (Obama News Network) will cover it. One person shouls not win that much money. Does not follow my policy of spreading the wealth. Too Capitolistic.

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If someone picks it up, to bad you could not use FLASH targets as required in Olympic shooting for televised/Championship events. Makes great camera shots and the bystanders get a great view of hits.

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe HGTV will do a televised "Makeover" of the infamous (and 5 Star) Sparta Budget Inn.

Certainly be more entertaining than a 15 second blurp of the shootoff.

Curt

12. biff

biff Active Member

Well lets look at it this way.....Mark Rounds a very wealthy person has donated say $100,000 to the ATA and lets say he can very well afford to donate this amount.....the generosity of his gift goes unnoticed except to the quiet memories of a few as to how it went down. Only in a dusty record book will be one line which exclaims that Leo Harrison III won a shootoff for this prize....do you think Mark would want to donate his money to another shoot where instead of drawing alot of shooters through the awesome publicity, but instead it only became a silent prize.

"Paint drying and Grass Growing" or not I think each year of the Grand should be documented....there are lots of stories here, high emotions, drama, colorful characters and lots of activity that could be told and shown. I think the ATA is missing the boat by not documenting its history. I would love to see some of what happened in the 50's and 60', back when it was really Grand!! Biff

13. rd

rd TS Member

I would think some of the shooting shows on the outdoor channel might be interested. Jim Scouten(sp?) covered some of the Scholastic shooters at the Grand a couple of years ago.

14. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Biff

Most large donations are keep private as a condition by the donor.

Mark

15. biff

biff Active Member

Have been contacted to enlist some good looking trapshooters for this documentary, I told them I didn't know any. They wanted me for the lead role, but I am needed as an advisor to this film.

I had no idea to the scope of this undertaking! Biff

16. RLC323

RLC323 Member

In there lies a big problem our sport faces. It is boring as hell to watch, and a blast to participate in.

Watching a shootoff should be exciting, but how many times have you been watching shootoffs with the guys, and after the first five someone starts a conversation. Next thing you know nobody has a clue who has missed a target or who is straight. I admit I have seen the competitors shake hands after a shoot-off round was completed and had no idea who the winner was.

We need to put some real thought into the format of the nine man shootoff, it is just not possible for a crowd to watch two fields at once and follow the action. Maybe a scoreboard that would show a competitors lost targets could be built. Whatever is done it should be thought out so the spectators can more easily follow the action. Our current system requires the viewers un-divided attention, and the ability to hear the scorer. Not very likely to work for a TV audience.

17. biff

biff Active Member

Up for Bob Lawless(Ivanhoe)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.