1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Major ATA Shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Santo101979, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Santo101979

Santo101979 TS Member

First, I just started shooting Trap last year and joined the ATA so excuse my ignorance.
    I am confused on how the major events work. How does it work with the week and two week long events? For example, at the Grand you have a full week of shooting. Same thing goes for the State shoot, several days of targets. My question is this. Do you have attended the entire shoot? Or could I shoot on just Saturday and Sunday? I would really like to just attend and shoot at these events but do not have a full week to dedicate to it. How does that work out?

Thanks guys

Daniel

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Daniel,

The longer shoots work exactly the same as a local weekend shoot. Just shoot the events you want to shoot on the days you want to shoot.

The "exception" to this is if you want to be in contention for High All Around (HAA) or High Over All (HOA) trophies.

To contend for the HAA trophy you need to shoot the Championship events in singles, handicap, and doubles. Typically the Championship events are the last event of each type in a tournament. There is no "qualification" event for the Championship events, just sign up and shoot.

HOA is calculated on some portion of the total targets offered at a tournament. Sometimes it's on all the targets, sometimes the first few events are omitted as "preliminary" events.

The tournament program will indicate which events are used in the calculation of both the HAA and HOA. Download the Dixie Grand program at the link above and look on page 15 to see what I mean.

Scott Hoover

ATA Delegate, Utah

3. jayco32

jayco32 TS Member

Daniel, You can attend a majot shoot and participate only in those events you choose. There are minimum target requirements at the major shoots. You can still shoot if you have not registered the minimums, but you will be penalized. Your 16 and doubles penalty classes would be A and B rather than B & C. No big deal. Your penalty yardage would increase to 23 or 25 yards rather than the 20 yards you could shoot at the smaller shoots. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new-found sport. Jerry

4. Santo101979

Santo101979 TS Member

Thanks Guys,
    I'll check that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.