1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maintaining a Perazzi Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brucestorey, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

With so many Perazzi experts/fanatics at this site, I figured it to be the best place to ask what is the best way to maintain my Perazzi triggers? I have been afraid to touch them ever since last year when I applied a little oil to one of them only to find out I did the wrong thing, causing it to hesitate between shots. I sent it to Giacomo and all was good again, but I would like to be able to work on my own triggers to keep them in tip-top condition.

One thing about Giacomo I found interesting is, when I received my trigger back from them, it was drenched in oil and wrapped in cellophane. This is odd because before I sent it in, I asked many questions on various forums and most people told me to never let oil get anywhere near the inertia block. My trigger has worked flawlessly since I got it back from Giacomo -- oil and all.

Will everybody who has had successful experience working on and maintaining their Perazzi triggers please post on this thread with advice for me and for everybody else who owns Perazzis?

Thank you,

Bruce

2. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

I shoot a lot. At least 3 flats per week, all year round. I have two (almost identical) MX3 Specials -- one as a primary and the other, a backup, just for the purpose you suggest. I will have each serviced by Giacomo annually at different times so I won't be without my favorite gun. I still would like advice on proper maintenance and cleaning for the interim.

Thank you for your input.

Bruce

3. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Assuming the trigger is clean a light spray of a fine oil, ie-TriFlow, and then a air dry or air blow dry should keep your trigger working just fine.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I heard it somewhere "don't use oil on Perazzi triggers" before.

If Giacomo puts oil on your trigger, that's what it should be. I believe all moving metal parts needs oil, in this case, light oil.

The only problem with overly oil your Perazzi trigger group is the oil will splash over the interior of you stock from the hammers.

I clean the trigger with BreakFree CLP, let it sit hammers down on paper towel over night, wipe clean the hammers before I put it back in the gun. It's the same as maintaining sidelocks.

I also lightly oil the barrel shoulder and locking bolts on all my Perazzis. Then my guns are stored muzzle down in the safe to keep any oil running down to the stocks.

5. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Bruce, 750 targets a week, year round, holy crap!

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

He could also have oiled it to prevent rusting thru transit. Just make sure the rebound what-ever-u-callit is free to move. Doubling on doubles is the pits....

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Balderdash! I don't soak mine in oil but I lube everything that moves on a bearing surface. Don't forget to grease (yes, grease) the contact points where the cocking rod meets the trigger shoes and where the trigger shoe meets the hammers. I use light weight non-detergent motor oil or spray with a fine gun oil for everything else on the trigger.

I also put new springs and firing pins in every two years. Some of my triggers have had more than 100,000 rounds through them. In 23 years of shooting the same gun, I have replaced only one firing pin and five (5) bottom springs due to failure in my Mx8, bought in 1986. It was the only gun I used from 1986 to 2002. Every shot I fired, both registered, league and practice was shot with this gun. Approximately 175,000, give or take a thousand. It's still performs "as new."

8. DJSims

DJSims Member

The light oil does not work on the release trigger hooks. A Giacomo going over at the Grand a year ago cost me targets with failures to fire. (I was a sloooow learner). The hooks need a gooey grease regularly. The rest is good with light oil.

Doug Sims

9. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

Thanks for all of the inout, guys. Today, I am going to call Dan at Giacomo and see what he has to say as well. I will report back.

Bruce

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Make sure you have a spare, and please bring it to the line with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clean perazzi trigger group