1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maine/Vermont

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bluedevil, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Wife wants to spend 2 weeks this fall in Maine/Vermont. Will fly in somewhere and rent car. Suggestions/ideas from anyone? I love the ocean she loves the trees.Bed & breakfast or motels etc. Thanks for your help.

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

I live in Ascutney, VT. Would be glad to help with any specific questions. And New Hampshire is between Vermont and Maine...:)

The interior of Maine has LOTS of trees and you're relatively close to the seacoast. B & B's will be your best bet in Maine's interior. Renting a motorhome when you get here would be the way to do it. Small motorhomes are available...

Bruce

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Forgot...

KB1IIX@arrl.net

is the direct (best way) email.

4. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Will be in touch capvan, thanks!

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Wife and I went to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and three provinces in Canada for the first time last fall. Highlights of the trip were:

Ogunquit, ME: Near Kittery Trading Post (GUNS!!) and Kittery Outlet Malls. Good, reasonable place to stay is Juniper Hill Inn (an older motel that has really been fixed up). Good place for breakfast is Congdon's Restaurant and Bakery. Lots of lobster restaurants. Near Kennebunkport. Not all that far from Cabela's at Scarborough. Nubble Lighthouse at Cape Neddick is a definite see. Portland is about 30-40 minutes away. Portland Harbor lighthouse cruise was very good. Do not take the whale cruises out in the ocean if the wind is up at all. You most likely won't see whales and the rough seas make the trip a nightmare. Area around harbor cruise area is very tourist oriented. Parking is hard to find and expensive in this area. Enjoyed Ogunquit so much that we stopped both coming and going up to Canada.

Bar Harbor, ME: Very upscale touristy but a beautiful area. Right next to Acadia National Park. A lot of tour ships come into this town. Another greatly upgraded older motel is the Bar Harbor Motel. Very spread out rooms (can park right next to room and relaxing). Rooms are nice. Jordan's Restaurant is the best place in town to breakfast. Great service and the lobster omelete's and blueberry pancakes are great. Would recommend The Chart Room for dinner. Great seafood and service.

Thomaston, ME: If you get near Thomaston, ME the Main State Prison Showroom is a must see. Lots of reasonable priced locally (by the prisoners) made souvenirs and some pretty neat stuff you don't see in any other shops. The cashiers are prison guards and your purchases will be wrapped up by a prisoner. If my wife can get over being around 275 + pound prisoners without her .38 Special anyone can. Check out the life size motorcycle/rider/passenger carving in the window. Pretty neat antique silver store next door.

Mount Washington (White Mountains), NH: If the weather is clear, a trip up to the top of Mount Washington on the cog railroad is fun. You can drive to the top but the cog railroad ride is interesting. No matter how warm it is at the lower railroad station, be sure and check to see what the temperature/windchill is on top (today it is 39 degrees wind chill). There is a lot of pretty scenery in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Vermont was pretty. Be sure and visit at least one "sugar house".

Ben & Jerry's, Waterbury, VT: Factory tour.

Cabot Cheese, Cabot, Vermont: Factory tour.

I am sure I forgot something but these were some of our high points in the US.

DoubleAuto

6. arend003

arend003 Member

And to dad in Vermont Orvis in Manchester is a nice place to window shop Also in the fall first weekend in October I think it is is the Brewfest at Killington had a great time at it two years ago and will be there again this year .. need to visit my land in Vermont as well. In Pittsford Vermont is the Maple syrup museum. And there is always Plymouth Mass to see Plymouth rock.
    Tom

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

The one thing we missed on our 4 1/2 week trip were vegetables available in restaurants. About all that was served was potatoes. It was almost a religious experience when we got back to the first available Cracker Barrel. Of course we are two old country southern folks used to good vegetables.

DoubleAuto

8. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Im a native MaineAH the Best time to come in the Northeast in my opinion would be the fall the leaves term colors and the landscape is just beautiful ! If you want summer then fly into Portland rent a car go up Route 1 to Freeport for LL Bean then keep going to Bar Harbor and a trip up Cadillac Mountain for a breath taking view ofthe Maine Coast line by the way this is where the Sun rises 1st in the US !then a trip inland to NewHampshire and Vermont if you have the time ! Southern Maine is OK but not as nice as the ride I just discribed! Ohhh plenty of Clubs you could stop and shoot along the way ! Southwest Harbor right next to BarHarbor has plenty of seafood and a fraction of the price youd play in BarHarbor!

9. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Fly into Hartford (BDL). Drive north on 91. Take exit 2 and drive west through Brattleboro to Bennington. At Bennington hit Hwy 7 north through Green Mountain National Forest all the way to Burlington. Stop for a day or two at Lake Champlain. From there head east through Vermont and into New Hampshire where you'll find the White Mountain National Forest. East to Portland then south on 95 along the coast. Also if you have the time, don't miss the eastern side of New York.

Plan ahead. I live in Oklahoma and fly to the Northeast every week were I work. There are a ton of people that travel to the area every fall. We call them tree watchers. Prime location hotels fill up fast. This is a truly beautiful part of the country, overly liberal mindset notwithstanding.

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Wow, I am copying every word posted, keep em comin if you can. We have at least 10 days, maybe 14.

11. Claydude

Claydude TS Member

I live in Northern NY and my son and I usta take a trip to Maine every year. In my opinion, you need to identify what it is you want because there are many different regions in the state. I say the "real" Maine is north/northeast of Bangor meaning there are some extreamly remote areas. For example, an area I would recommend is the Allagash Region if remote-ness and beauty is what your looking for. Outside of Millinocket you can pick up a private dirt toll road that will take you into the Allagash, but take plenty of extra fuel with you because there is absolutely nothing for hundreds of miles. Certain times of the year you'll need a four wheel drive truck to get back in there, and I would not recommend anything less than a truck because the roads can be a beating. The roads are used and maintained by the North Maine Woods for logging purposes and is a co-op with several different logging, paper mills and the State of Maine as a conservation mission. The last time my son and I went there it rained the entire week (July) and we exited sideways in the mud for better than one hundred miles back into Millinocket. What a sight the truck was when we got into Bar Harbor,,, chuckle,,, chuckle which is a very nice tourist area on the east coast, but a very different region. If you're interested in the Allagash or Northern Maine there are several lodges you can stay, but make sure you make reservations because it will take you several hours to drive in. Additionally, there are several charter plane services that can fly you in. One of the places we stayed was Loon Lodge and they do have a web site along with several others, but, it will take you a few hours out of Millinocket and you DONOT want to attempt the trip in the dark!

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

The whole character of the Maine seacoast changes north of Camden. Taking a 3 or 4 day cruise on a "tall ship" out of Rockport would be quite the adventure...

Bruce
    KB1IIX@arrl.net

13. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Acadia National Park! You get the best of both worlds. Ocean views and trees.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.