1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maine Seacoast

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

We're leaving for the Maine seacoast shortly and are looking for gun related shops to visit. We're going to Cabela's and will probably be disappointed, so we're looking for some options. And if you know a REAL good place for Lobster, pass that along as well!

Bruce
    capvan

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Theres always LL Bean. I have always wanted to go there. Open 24 hours aday.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bruce, Kittery Trading Post always has a good selection of guns, not as many high end as Cabela's perhaps. They are right off 95 the third exit after going over the bridge. There is no shortage of lobster sources in Maine. Eat well and enjoy, Bob

4. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Kittery Trading Post and Bob's Clam shack (since 1956). You can shop for guns and let the wife hit all the outlet malls. Portland Maine area and Cabela's. Don't miss LL Bean and of course more outlet malls. Maine is a Great place. Jerry

5. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I agree that Maine is beautiful. We spent some time in Bar Harbor and Acadia this summer. You will have no problem finding Lobster...it is like finding a chocolate bar in Hershey PA. While the Lobster is good, the blueberry pie, jam, etc, is my real favorite. Enjoy.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should have given a little more info. We live in Vermont and have been to Maine a lot. We quit going about 5 years ago due to the crowds. We are going back to see what has changed and that's what we need info. on.

Beans is a disappointment, if you ever went to the old store. Mostly a "Lands End" type of store. Still has a little camping/hiking stuff, but very little compared to what it was years ago. And a theme park atmosphere. And sales clerks that know virtually nothing.

We hope Kittery has stayed the same. I have an FFL and hope that's enough to get access to the huge wholesale store in the basement...

Bruce

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I doubt if you will disappointed stopping at these folks on the way.

8. JACK

This is about as genuine a seafood place as there is on the way to MA. Go for the chicken lobster at lunch.

9. JACK

Hit th link above. great little video. yu'll get hungry for sure.

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

MIA...How do I get to Maine from Vermont and cross over Massachusetts? We're going to Maine, but thanks for the info about MA.

capvan

11. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

If you are in the Rockland/Owls Head area stop in and see their Transportation Museum. Had heard about it for years and finally got to see it in October. Antique planes, cars,motorcycles,etc. All inside and warm with great volunteers to answer any questions. The only gun I remember was a Vickers machine gun mounted on a WWI French plane. Lobsters all over the place. Beautiful state. Nine months of snow and ice followed by 3 months of bad sledding.

12. JACK

Cap. The 48 is contiguous and interstates abound. sorry. I did not know their would be a geography test.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"Theres always LL Bean. I have always wanted to go there. Open 24 hours aday."</I>

It's a disappointment unless you're excited about overpriced clothing and/or fly fishing stuff.

MK

14. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Was along the coast last month. A little restaurant called the Seabasket just south of Wiscasset is great. When we are in Vermont we like to hit the Orvis store. Can't afford anything but we like to look. Plus the Manchester area is nice. We live in Indiana and love to go out there every few years. Camden Maine is our favorite.

15. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Bruce:

Got back on October 23 from a thirty-three day trip from Tennessee to Vermont, New Hampshire, MAINE, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Pennsylvania (amish country) and Prince Edward Island. Spent the most time in Maine. Turned my wife loose at Kittery Outlet Malls and went to Kittery Trading Post 3 times. Had bought several guns from them over the phone but had never been there. Enjoyed looking around but only bought $5 worth of stuff. If you are around Ogunquit/Wells area, the Congdon Bakery/Restaurant is a great place to eat breakfast and has an awesome bakery. A reasonable place to stay in Ogunquit is "The Juniper Hill Inn". An older place that has been picked up very nicely. Stayed there both heading north to Canada and south to southern New Hampshire. If you get up around Rockland, ME, there is also the Lighthouse Museum that is interesting. Just down the Road in Thomaston, ME is the Main Prison Store on Highway 1. Interesting and reasonable gift shop where your purchase will be wrapped up by a prisoner (some VERY "BIGGG" prisoners) and your money taken by a prison guard (check out the full size motorcycle/riders carving in the window). If you go up to Bar Harbor, ME, Jordans Cafe/Restaurant in Bar Harbor is a great place for breakfast (local/tourist restaurant). Their lobster omlette with in-house made toast was great (all three mornings I ate it). Your coffee will be on your table as you sit down. Went to Cabela's south of Portland. No bargains.

NOTE!! Just be aware that a lot of businesses were closing, particularly around Bar Harbor, Me when we were there in mid October.

Have a good trip.

DoubleAuto

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Double Auto, When you went through New Brunswick I hope you drove some of the old highway along the St. John, especially below Fredericton in the Gagetown area and below. Pretty area, nice people. Sounds like you had a great trip.All the best, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.