1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Maine in October

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bluedevil, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Wife and I going to Maine in October for 10 days. Any ideas from you experienced travelers? Landing in Boston and have a car, planned on driving to just south of Portland for a base. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. trapster100

trapster100 Member

Landing in Boston? My advise....drive north as fast as you can and get the hell out of Mass...lol

Depends how far in Maine you want to travel and what you enjoy doing.
    Scarborough Fish and Game is where you can get some targets in if you bring a gun.

If not, stop by Cabelas in Scarborough or Kittery Trading Post in Kittery and buy one. Plenty of retail if the Mrs. is tagging along. In fact, I would highly recommend to send her clothes shopping when you go upstairs in the trading post :)

Kittery Trading Post = http://ktp.com/

Portland waterfront is fun to explore during the day. Stay out of the waterfront pubs after dark. Unless you like it on the rowdy side.

Try Dimillos Floating Restaraunt for lunch or dinner. = http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/index.html

Or The Lobster Shack at Two Lights for a view of a light house. = http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

Of course, if it's near the first week of October, it is peak foliage season and a trip inland, or a 3 hr ride north to Acadia Park would be a must to see the colors!!
    The Rangely area is always a nice trip in the fall and you could swing by L.L. Cote in Errol, NH to look at a few more guns! = http://www.llcote.com/

See a pattern forming here????

If you must go to L.L. Bean in Freeport (which I feel is highly overrated) make sure you grab a lobster for lunch at Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster. Sit outside and watch the lobster boats unload. = http://www.harraseeketlunchandlobster.com/

Rte. US 1 north is a nice scenic coastal ride.

Many, many interesting places to visit and October is a nice "cool" time of year! = http://www.maineguide.com/

I'm sure others will chime in.

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

There's certainly enough to see and do down south, but to experience Maine you should consider Downeast and MDI. With 10 days, I'd suggest at least a drive and RON to Bar Harbor.

Kip

4. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Good Morning

A couple of excellent sea food places, lobster &fried clams which isnt to far off of route 95 north of Boston on your way, JT Farnum, clam Box(usually a wait but worth it)& Woodmans all in essex Ma, 25 mins from Route 133 Georgetown on 95 north then east, you can goggle them.

Also LL Bean Freeport ( north 293) 25 miles north Portland was suggested from one of the guys, open 24,7,they have a sporting clay instruction about 20.00 and supply gun ammo ect. about 2 hrs might be fun ,if you dare to leave the MRS. that long in the store!

State ME wild life park, MILE 65 INTERSTATE 95, (Portland is about mile 52), moose bear ect. farily inexpensive.

Scarborough fish game just so. Portland shoots TRAP,sporting clays on the weekend.207 865 4825,you could no doubt get a gun loaned there.
    Plenty places to cast from shore, stripers are here, you need a national saltwater angler permit,free www.countmyfish.noaa.gov.

Leaving the airprt go to route 1 north it will run into 95 north, I would always stay away from the tunnel and 93 north.

Have a safe trip

Pete Archibald

5. JTEA

JTEA Member

Went to Bar Harbor etc, years ago ~ mid-80's. We stayed in a more remote area named Christmas Cove while visiting a sea kayak dealer..

JT

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

great info guys, appreciate it much. Have plenty of time so will hit all we can. More suggestions welcome.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Spend some time at Moosehead Lake in northern ME---I go every yr and love it---
    SJB---

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Made a trip to Maine last fall. If you go to Bar Harbor the Bar Harbor Motel is a great place to stay. It is an older spread out motel that has been fixed up and is very comfortable with nice rooms in quiet setting. The Chart Room Restaurant is a good seafood restaurant. Jordan's Restaurant in Bar Harbor on Cottage Street is a great place for breakfast. Coffee as soon as you sit down, blueberry pancakes and a great lobster omlette (best seafood omlette I had in Maine). Just be aware a lot of cruise ships show up in Bar Harbor during the fall.

If you go through Thomaston, Maine, stop at the Maine Prison Store on the main highway. Great wood products and locally made (in the prison) gifts at good prices. A prison guard will be taking the money and a prisoner will wrap your purchases. My wife loved the store after initially not sure about going in.

If you go to Kittery, the Nubble Lighthouse at Cape Neddick near there is a must see. Kittery Trading Post is a must see.

Parking down at the Portland waterfront is expensive and sometimes hard to find unless you park two or three streets off the waterfront. The lighthouse/fort boat tour is a nice tour to take and see Portland Harbor and the Portland Head Lighthouse at the harbor mouth.

Have a great trip.

DoubleAuto

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

Just be careful of going in late October. Things start to shut down somewhat. But the room rates are great in mid-October. If you plan on lobster, ask when you are seated. Some restaurants stop serving it in late October.

10. DoubleAuto

Yes things were closing down when we were up there in October. In fact the motel in Bar Harbor and the Chart Room restaurant closed down for the season the week after we left. More things seem to close down earlier the more you travel north in Maine.

DoubleAuto

11. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

DoubleAuto,

Is this the hotel you are talking about? The Oceanfront wing is the only place to stay in BH, ME.

Kip

12. DoubleAuto

Kip:

No that is not the place I am talking about but it looks like a beautiful place to stay. The Bar Harbor Motel is on the highway into Bar Harbor from Ellsworth, Maine. The owners took a nice older motel and greatly upgraded it. The rooms are very nice but I am sure not in the league of the place you are showing.

DoubleAuto

13. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Wife and I stayed several days at Ogonquit in mid-october two years ago. Great crisp mornings and evenings-beach all to yourself. Things are starting to shut down but rates were great-just plan for dinner out or do your own.

Eddie Quire

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Plenty of Partridge around then....the Mrs. might not be so thrilled tho....
    frankc_2008_030316.jpg

15. DoubleAuto

Ogunquit is a great place to stay. Not far from Kittery, reasonably close to the Cabela's at Scarborough and Kennebunkport. Also a good location for day trips to Portland. Good place to eat breakfast is Congdon's Bakery & Restaurant. We again stayed at a nice upgraded older motel in Ogunquit (Juniper Hill Inn). Ended up staying there on our up to Canada and on the way back.

Doubleauto

16. higun

higun Member

craby boy,

Where do they shoot trap in Portland?

Higun

17. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I've got the plane tickets and the rental car, do you guys think I should book a motel now or are there a bunch of them available? Don't need fancy but clean and quiet.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

better book, this is foliage, leaf peeper season.....

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon Frank, you didn't shoot the poor thing on the road I hope. ;)

20. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Bluedevil,

Im gonna throw my .02 cents worth in here.All parts of Maine are great.But my favorite place is up in the mountians in the central western part of the state---Rangeley.If your going that time of year you will be very pleased with the area.I have had a camp up there for 25 years and it's a great getaway for us in all four seasons.There's even a Trap field on Bald Mountian to shoot at on Sundays.Plenty of lodging and restaurants. bluedevil you have a P.M.

Sandy Holehouse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.