1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mailing a gun to yourself????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superxjeff, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Does anybody know if it is legal to mail your own gun to yourself in another state where you will be hunting? My buddy thinks it is and I think it's not. Anybody know? Jeff

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I don't think you would have a problem providing you take delivery yourself. If anyone else takes delivery other than an FFL holder, you could have a problem. Perhaps you can find the ATF regulations on line and get the answer you need.

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Yes it is legal to ship it to yourself at another address in another state. It cannot be opened by anyone else but you also.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I hgave never had mailing a shotgun to myself, in care of someone where I am going!

At the post office, the only question they ever ask is: "Do you want to insure it?"

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It has been done alot. People who do not trust the airlines will ship a gun to themselves where they are going to shoot. They will call the range and let them know its coming and they will then receive the gun case and lock it up till you come to shoot. It is legal to do so but you are the only person they will release the gun to. Have your ID with you. You then can mail it back to yourself before you go home.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

When I hunted in Alaska, I UPS'd my 44 mag to myself, in care of a Dealer in Anchorage. As long as he didn't open it and I had the correct ID, I gave him $25 for his time and was off hunting.

The reason for the shipment is because I drove, and part of that trip took me through Canada.

Doug

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

shipped my shotgun home from the Alaska State Shoot last July via US Mail.....simple and easy, got home well before me too!

8. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

From the ATF web site FAQ page......"(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

redhawk44- A question. If another person takes possession of the unopened package, it this taking possession of the gun?

If someone takes possession of an unopened package containing illegal drugs, they are considered to be in possession of the drugs (I think).

Pat Ireland

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I think that it is the position of the BATF that if the person who receives the gun does not open the package and just holds it for the actual owner of the gun, everything is fine and no rules have been violated.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

redhawk % Pat,

I would tend to think the law enforcement officials wouldn't consider the person holding the unopened gun as taking possession, as long as it's used for lawful activities.

On the other hand, it the firearm in question was used in a unlawful manor, the person signing for the package would likely be charged as an accessory.

This would cover both instances.

ss

12. Rick Barker

When you take delivery of an item, even if it is packaged and unopened, it is in "your possession". What if someone mailed you a package of heroin and said they would be arriving at the nearst Holiday Inn in your home city and would you please deliver the package to them in 2 days. You put the package in the back seat of your car. You are stopped by the police for the most innocent traffic infraction. The cop who is assigned to the K-9 unit has his drug sniffing dog with him notices the dog having a reaction to your car. He asks what is in the box in back of the car. In the end you are arrested and charged with possession, even if it wasn't yours.

While the ATF rules might appear vague, you have to remember law enforcement officals always use the vagueness of the law to allow them to pursue all avenues in apprehending law breakers. I speak as a former peace officer and FFL holder. Take no chances with regulations regarding guns, drugs or alcohol, if you don't understand them.

13. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

It's a shame you even have to question the legality. Too many laws for the law abidding citizens.

14. Rick Barker

I soon suspect it will come to pass it will be illegal to believe in freedom or practice it.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rick- It has already arrived.

Pat Ireland

16. Rick Barker

Pat, I meant total freedom. I am looking forward to the court challenge of any government required health insurance purchase if such a bill is signed into law. Once that happens, then it may all be lost.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't find the ATF rule vague. it's quite clear in its statement and it's enforcement....

If you need more, ask for a letter from the ATF addressing your question further...

18. Rick Barker

Seems the safest thing to do would be to mail/ship the gun to yourself and make sure you will be on the other end to accept it, or make it willcall to nearest terminal of carrier so you can pick it up yourself.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Thanks for the ATF link. It's pretty clear. Sorry this turned into a shitstorm. jeff

20. Rick Barker

Look at it as being educational. If for some reason someone ran afoul of the law, and it were not the gun owner, the gun could be tied up in evidence for who knows how long until the whole mess is straightened out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.