1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mahovsky's Metalife

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OneStab, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStab

OneStab TS Member

Does anyone have any experience with Mahovsky's Metalife plating?. I understand that they do chrome plating refered to as metalife. Located in Western PA. Thanx Jim

2. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Great place, great work, quick turnaround, cheap pricing. I had an 1100 done there about a year ago. The plating is holding up perfectly. There is no way to scratch, nick or mark it. If you want something silver plated, Mahovsky's is the place to go.

3. trapman69

trapman69 Member

I can't complain about product it has held up very nice. On the other hand turn around for me was about two months. One side of receiver is nice the other doesn't look like they took much time on it. The price was very good so I didn't make a fuss about it. I will say they are worth there money. I would probably send another gun to them. Tom R

4. OneStab

OneStab TS Member

trapman69 and Eric...did you have complete gun plated or just receiver and parts? thanx jim

5. trapman69

trapman69 Member

I had the receiver and mag tube plated. Tom R

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've been using them for probably twenty years or more. I figure they've done twenty firearms or more for me.

I had a pistol done first and it looks the same as the day it came home. Very durable finish with a high lubricity.

Turn around depends on the actual days they do plating - gunsmith and plating facility are located in two different towns - they only plate once every week or two and this depends on the volume of work they have.

It is a very thin finish, so underlying metal will show through exactly as it was before. They will polish out defects for you, but you must ask for this (additional cost) - if it's too severe they might suggest a more standard nickle plating which tends to fill small voids - I had this done on an 870 pump gun (set up for boating) and it looks great as well.

I would suggest you talk directly with Ron M. He is a gentleman with great knowledge. If you do your homework and ask the right questions you will be very happy.

David D

7. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

onestab,
    Receiver and mag tube. The plating hasn't caused any cycling issues and shows no wear on the mag tube.

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've used Metalife twice and the turnaround was about 5 weeks in each case. Extremely durable finish. I still prefer the color of nickel but I doubt there's anything more durable than hard chrome and the price is very reasonable.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I had them do an older Ljutic mono gun for me a couple years ago. I had the entire gun done in the Metalife finish. They did the receiver, forend iron, trigger, and barrel. The gun came out perfectly and the finish looks as good today as the day I got it back. Very good work, very good pricing, very good folks to deal with, (especially Ron), and the total turn around time was 4 weeks..... I will definately use them again...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.