1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

magnum barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bulgie, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

HAve friend who recently put a magnum barrel on his standard 2 3/4 inch 870 frame. A local gunsmith ordered the barrel and told him it was fine to use a 3 inch barrel on this gun. I think they are both wrong, and sooner or later severe damage will be done to the gun, or my friend may get hurt. What do you think? Fred

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Your gunsmith may be right. A number of years ago, Remington quit making two receivers per gauge. I forget the cutoff date, but it has been years.

If your friend's gun will properly eject the 3" empty hull, it is good to go.

All 2 3/4" and 3" 12 ga shells are loaded to the same maximum average pressure (MAP), somewhere around 11,500 psi. The 3 1/2" cigar is loaded to around 14,000 psi, but that one is a different critter.

I personally don't care for the recoil of the 3" shell, but that is me. Many folks shoot the fire out of the magnums. Most all of them are younger than I.

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The only real diferrence that could make you cuss a little is the Ejector, they fit into the frame with the same hole spacing, the ejector for the 3" is cut longer so the longer hull will clear the end of the barrel, a 2 3/4 ejector may not let the fired hull past the breach end of the barrel making you have to loosen the mag cap and pull the barrel forward to get the fired hull out

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.