1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

magizine nut adjustment

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poe/IL, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poe/IL

poe/IL TS Member

magazine cap adjustment

Does anyone know the proper magazine cap adjustment for a Remington Sportsman model 48? This is an old gun. Probably around 1953 or 1954? I have only fired a couple of boxes of shells through it. This gun appears to have had very few shells run through it. I got it at a gun show two weekends ago. When I first got the gun it wouldn't cycle a shell at all. I'd have to manually pull the bolt back each time to get it to eject the shell. I'm using this for a trap gun by the way. Its a sweet looking nice shooting semi auto. After the first time I used it I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. It still had cosmoline in the detent spring and assembly. It was no wonder it couldn't cycle shells. The cosmoline had hardened and wasn't allowing the spring to work. I got that all cleaned and took it to the range where it fired just fine the other day. I brought it home cleaned it again and went back to the range today and it was trying to cycle the shells but they were getting caught up about half way through the cycle. After freeing 3 jams I loosened the magazine cap some and it worked OK.. Does anyone know what the proper adjustment is on the magazine cap? If I get it to tight I know it doesn't work I'm a little shy about it being to loose though. Best idea I have now is to count the clicks as I loosen the cap and when I put it back together just screw it down that many clicks but would like to know if there is any proper setting. I can't find one in the manual.

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe its one of those things you have to adjust for the type loads your using at the time?

Thanks for the help, Brian

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brian- You have a fine gun. As I remember, the magazine cap should be tightened as much as possible by hand. It seems to me that you are loosing the barrel to compensate for another problem.

Pat Ireland

3. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Seem like there is a bushing on top of the spring turned one way it adds compression to the sping turned the other the spring is looser.One way for trap loads one for magnums that seems right but been a long time since I worked on one.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brian- You have a fine gun. As I remember, the magazine cap should be tightened as much as possible by hand. It seems to me that you are loosing the barrel to compensate for another problem.

Pat Ireland

5. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Seem like there is a bushing on top of the spring turned one way it adds compression to the sping turned the other the spring is looser.One way for trap loads one for magnums that seems right but been a long time since I worked on one.

6. poe/IL

poe/IL TS Member

Pat,

I didn't loosen the cap very much but it sure did make a difference when I did. I had really jammed the barrel down into the receiver when I tightened the cap down the first time. Seemed like backing it off just a few clicks made a big difference in the way it cycled the shells. I'm sure your right that it is supposed to be tight but is there such a thing as to tight?

I checked on the Remington help page and found nothing there. I'd like to call Remingtion or email them but couldn't find either a phone # or a email address. I even tried a gun smith that is suppsed to specialize in model 11-48's but was unable to reach him I'll try him again Monday.

Pat, Thanks for the info. I'll do a thorough check on the magazine cap before I fire the gun again.

Thank you for the heads up, Brian

7. poe/IL

poe/IL TS Member

fletcher,

Thanks for the info.. I need to check on that. I see what I think your talking about on the end of the detent mechanizm but I wasn't sure what it did. Possibly I missed that in the manual. I'll re read the manual.

Thanks again, Brian

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The 11-48 is a long recoil operated shotgun, This means that the barrel has to be pushed all the way to the back of the action on recoil to work. The magizine nut only holds the barrel and wood on the gun.

Cleaning the magizine tube is a good first step, finding out how much lite oil to have on it is next, I can only answer for the Browning A5 I shoot, it likes a little oil to function right, the 48 is slightly different.

So you should be looking at/for recoil or friction ring ajustments setting, or clean and oiling recoil system, to find what you are looking for!

Al

9. poe/IL

poe/IL TS Member

Pat, Fletcher, Big AZ AL, Flincher100 I'd like to thank you all for your great comments. I started a new post titled:

Remington model 48 and 11-48 owners. HELP!

If you would please take a look at my new post and let me know what you think. I think I found the other problem that Pat Ireland was referring too.

Like I stated before I just purchases this gun from a gun show 2 weekends ago. I was very careful to put all the parts in the order I took them out when I disassembled the gun. I'm fairly certain now that either the dealer or the previous owner had put the gun together wrong. The manual and the schematics are a little unclear on exactly what pieces go where on the recoil mechanism.

Thanks again, Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.