1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MagicJack?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anybody using one with success? $39.99 for the system and a years service from Walmart. Don't really plan on it being every day use, but I have a couple friends who its nothing to talk to them on the phone for a couple hours at a time, and that really eats into the anytime minutes on the cell phone. I don't really see any other viable alternatives in the same price range as magicjack, and I guess for $40 there isn't too much risk (although I will have to buy a phone to go with it, since we haven't had anything but cell phones for about 5 years).

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Google it and you'll get an eye-opener. At least I did when I looked into it a few years ago. There were a lot of complaints about overcharging and no assistance in recovering those overcharges.

Ed

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

What's that old saying? If it sounds to be horses drinking from a free fountain, they have to shoot you...or something like that.

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have been very happy with Vontage. Only problem, I can't hook up my TV or FAX machine.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If both parties have a computer, buy a computer cam with a built in mic and sign up with SKYPE. You can talk AND see each other at the same time....FREE, anywhere in the world...almost anywhere.

My wife talks to her friend now leaving in Dom. Rep. at least three times a week, and I talk with a friend of mine living in Germany about twice a month...all free.

Cameras are about $30

Doug

6. shelly

shelly TS Member

I have Magicjack and it works just fine. I also use Skype and it's great as long as both parties are on their computer. With Magicjack you can make calls to any phone and it works just like a phone. Plug your phone into the device which itself plugs into a usb port and go to town. Just pick up your phone, hear the dial tone and dial away. Call quality is fine so long as you have somewhere near a 1/2 meg upload speed.

Another good thing about Magicjack is that you can use it to make and receive calls anywhere you have a broadband connection. You can be in Dallas or Dakota and somebody can call you on it from any telephone.

I mostly use it for outbound calls and it saves a lot of cell phone minutes. If they had my area code available for phone numbers, I'd get rid of the house phone. Voice mail is included in the price. It's well worth $20 per year to me.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Very happy with Vontage. Left Verizon last year after a bit of research.

The Google telephone network works pretty decent (you have to have a Google account). Had no problems calling Canada.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone know if it will work for a FAX machine? My wife and daughter bought me an all in one printer,fax, scanner for Christmas but I don't have a phone line near by (land line jack). Would this thing work? Thanks, Bulge.

9. 1100shooter

1100shooter TS Member

I have the Magic Jack. I have had it for about six months. No problems. My wife calls her family 4-5 times a week for about 30 minutes per call. That would eat up our cell phone minutes. It works very well. I have taken it on the road and if I have a wireless connection for my laptop I am back on line. No problems with it. I'd recommend it.

10. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

I have a MagicJack absolutely no problems at all. Can't use a fax though. Really quite amazing. i have had it for 2 years.

Mike

11. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

T-MOBILE, unlimited anytime minutes............GOOD LUCK

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I have used a Magic Jack a lot over the last few years.

When I am traveling using my laptop the sound quality suffers a bit in hotels on wireless networks but it is real good when your laptop or computer is hard wired. It drops the odd call like cell phones do.

We called home to Canada every day from Florida for over a month all free.

They give you improvement updates like your computer receives and you need to set the volume etc.

Terry.

13. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Before you spend your money do a VoIP test and see if your connection is worth spit! I didn't and I'm regretting it. I also didn't go looking for problems on the net. Wish I had.

Go to the above website and make sure you select the 32k speed test. Select a town close to you.

I'm not happy because of the poor signal. Plus you can't use it for medical tests/faxes. And, even 'tho I got the area code I wanted it's located in a town about 80 miles away. HarryC

14. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I've had a Majic Jack for about 3 years, no trouble whatsoever...Bill

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Picked up one @ Walmart today. No issues installing it. Just made a 15 minute phone call to my buddy. A little noise in the line, but not horrible. I made the mistake of buying a cordless that didn't have speakerphone, so I'll have to take that back and exchange it for one that does, so the call I made was using my webcams mic and computers speakers, and maybe the noise will go away if I'm using a regular phone.

One thing I noticed is I can't really run any other computer programs that take up bandwidth on my computer, or the sound gets a little choppy. I have the lowest level of Roadrunner (broadband) so that probably explains that issue.

One other issue is that while you may be able to get a phone number in your area code, it may not necessarily be in your "local call" calling area, so you could get in a situation where your next door neighbor would incur long distance charges for calling you. The number I got was for a city 30 miles west of me. Not really a big deal since the calls I plan on using for this phone would be long distance anyway, but it would have been nice to know that ahead of time.

All and all I'm satisfied so far. I have 30 days to return it, so I'll keep playing with and and report back on any news.

16. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

I fax with mine everyday. Once in a while I get static on the line but I get that on a landline as well. I'm happy!!

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I like it But as said you need a hi speed to get clear line and it will fax. It is best used direct into the usb port and if you have other stuff that is useing usb ports it will get some static.
    I use it with computer on idle and no problems
    It dont like the remote phones need to use a wired one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.