1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic Jack

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by waterhouselake, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterhouselake

waterhouselake TS Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Anybody else purchase one of these besides me? I've had no problems yet giving the weenie to the phone company on long distance and other fee calls.......
  2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    There have been a couple of threads on this subject in the past; one just a week or so ago. You should run a search for MagicJack and read the past posts.

In a nutshell, most of us have elected not to subscribe to it for reasons outlined in those past threads. I almost went for it until I did an Internet search and found all sorts of complaints about it including erroneous and outrageous charges that subscribers had a hard time getting reversed. Read some of the entries at the link I pasted above.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Ed is pretty much on target. They have been taken to task by many state Attorney Generals for fraudulent charges and false advertising. New York was one of them. 911 calls are not reliable, so I would think very hard before giving up the old POTS landline. You also can't make calls when your internet is down, plus it won't work reliably for fax or data. As a backup or for LD calls only, it's probably OK, as long as you still have some other means to dial out. There were at least three threads here over the last year or so with the details. Cut and paste the urls for the info. Just be advised that many useful posts have been deleted for some reasons known only to the posters. If you post something useful, you should let it stand for future reference.

4. three dram

three dram TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I own three magic jacks, I use one when I travel to call home and any business

problems or calls I need to make from hotels, I used it at an airport when my

cell went dead?
    It beats hotel charges ( which is rude what they add on to your bill )and

cell charges .
    Home use, I use it as a backup and long distance calling which is 40% of my

phone calls

the cost of a magic jack pays for its self many times over, I rarly have any

problems worth talking about

But I would never think of dropping my main service yet.

three dram
  5. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I got magic jack about 2 mo. ago I was neverous about it seen lots of pro and con for it hooked it up for $49.00 for first year 19.95 the next year what a great move it works great I could be more pleased with it batman.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.