1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic Jack phone service

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dave P, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Has anyone tried this? Does it work as advertised? Any pros and cons? I see CVS Pharmacy offers it but I'm not sure what that's worth.

2. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

so does walmart i dont have but people at work that have it say it works great

3. oddlott

oddlott Member

I have one at my place in Fla. You have to have high speed internet. When we go to Fla we have the internet turned on and then the Magic Jack works. We have a local number and everything a local company would provide. I think it’s a great deal.
    Dennis

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I almost went with them some time ago but thought it sounded too good to be true so I did some checking. If you follow Larry's advice and investigate a little first, you'll find a link to an opinion site where the natives are anything but happy with the service. The problems run from next door neighbors having to pay long-distance charges to call you to overcharging and more.

It must work well in some areas as you can see from some of the posts to this thread. But because every local telephone company in the world is not advertising against it and offering promotional deals to compete with it, I assume it only is a good deal in certain localities.

Ed

5. 50calshooter

50calshooter TS Member

Got one you have to have high speed internet or you get delayed conversations, also the area code is different. If you can live with that it's a great deal.

6. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I have had mine for quite a while now, works great. I picked my area code for my Majic Jack number, never a charge for local calls...Bill

7. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

I've had MJ for about four months. We also have a standard land line for local calls and we have high speed cable internet. The MJ is about 96% right. Every now and then we get a poor connection, but not often. We have it set up so that all incoming calls are transferred from our MJ to our land line. That way all calls, land line and MJ come through the land line. We do all our long distance out calls on MJ.

I don't think that I would want MJ as my only phone line, but in conjunction with stripped down service on a land line, MJ definitely works well as long as you have a fast internet connection.

A couple of months ago Google announced Google Voice
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/technology/internet/12google.html

I have no experience with this yet, but is sounds like it could be even a better deal than MJ. But in the meantime, MJ is cheap enough and it works just about all the time.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

AveragEd

"But because every local telephone company in the world is not advertising against it and offering promotional deals to compete with it, I assume it only is a good deal in certain localities."

Ed just a word of caution on that assuming thing I did that with Vonage and they suck out loud. So I would think investigating it quit a bit further is a definite necessity.

Bob Lawless

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for all the replys. There is enough negative comments to make me want to hold off, especially the 911 part as I live with a bad heart and have needed an ambulance several times. Dave

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bob, it sounds as though you think I believe Magic Jack to be a good thing. For many people, it's quite the contrary.

I don't want a different Area Code than my neighbors because some of them are tight enough to not call us if they see something happening that we should know about - a chimney fire or a skunk in our backyard where our dog is left out to do his business, for example.

At age 62, calling 9-1-1 is a definite possibility and I in fact had to call for an ambulance to take my wife to the hospital with breathing difficulties a few months ago. Sure, I could write down the regular numbers for all our emergency services but then whomever was doing the calling would have to find them in a moment of panic.

And when I read some of the horror stories about Magic Jack that I found on the Internet, I decided to keep Verizon in business a little longer. Besides, changing phone vendors would have increased my cost for Verizon's FIOS TV and Internet service, which Magic Jack would have utilized.

Ed

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would do a thorough investigation before putting down any money. The Attorney General in NY is also investigating them, so there are some issues out there. Main thing is no real 911 service, no redundancy in a poewwer outage, service can be poor if your internet connection is not 100%, and there may be billing issues for people who call you. There were a couple of threads last year on this very subject.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=169421

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=159343

12. jimx200

jimx200 Member

My experience: cancelled after 1 month of service due to very poor voice quality, NO tech support, NO customer support, and it took me 3 months after returning it via certified mail with signature required to get back a partial refund. Oh and your computer needs to be running full time for it to work...computer off-so is not so magic jack. I see where they settled with numerous attorney generals to the tune of millions...buyer beware.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

??? It's $40. What are you expecting? People are using their cell phones now for everything, and long distance is free with most plans. MagicJack is a good back-up, and I have an amplified phone attached to mine,( because I'm a shooter.) Plus you can travel with it and use it anywhere your computer works.
    But as your only phone, I agree you could do better, but not for $40 and $20 a year after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.