1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic Eye Dots - Do they work for one-eyed shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claysman, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claysman

claysman TS Member

I have a left dominant eye, but shoot right handed. This causes great problems for me such as cross-eyed image and somethimes double target vision. I've read on this web site about using scotch tape and other solutions, but found them messy and hard to remove. So, I bought some Magic Eye Dots and they work just great!! I would recommend these Dots over anyother method. At least thats been my experience. Any other ideas? I found the Dots at the URL above.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

CLOSE YOUR LEFT EYE! Works for me!

AndyH

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yes the "Dots" work. After going through a myriad of eye obscurement procedures, I have found what works for me.

The "Dot" and the "EasyHit" front sight. May not work for you, but give it a try.

Curt

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Scotch tape over the left lense has up'd my scores by almost 10% over last year's closing the left eye.

blade819

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I just sucked it up and started shooting left handed, got myself a good pair of prescription shooting glasses and these two things made a world of difference. The transition took about 500 rounds, breaking targets better than ever. The hardest thing was getting used to the mechanics of loading and unloading the gun left handed. I had tried everything else, this worked best for me. gyrine

6. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

I'm also left eye dominant,and I use the magic dots all the time. I have used them to go to AAA class. The most critical part is to get it positioned correctly. You will have achieved this when the dot seems to disappear. I am also a right hand shooter,and i hold a high gun,with no problem.
    GAZ

7. TRAPSHOOTING90T

TRAPSHOOTING90T TS Member

I'm a one eyed shooter and had better luck with a contact in my off eye(1.75X).
    I don't have a problem with distance. With this system I can do paper work and shoot. Works for me might not for others.

Roger Smith

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

majic dot worked for me

9. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Roger,that sounds like a great idea. I'm going to spread that around,thanks. GOOD LUCK

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Not for me. It was too annoying. I went with a Uni-Dot instead.

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

what is the differance between the dot vs a crossfire blade? p kiner wrote about the blade in t&f a couple yrs ago! wally riebesell

12. claysman

claysman TS Member

"Just close one eye" maybe a good idea, but sometime during a long compitition, that eyelid will fatique and start to flicker. This will be just the time when a target will be lost, maybe costing you a win.

Tape is good if you can handle the mess and sticky residue. The Dots work much better without hassle and mess. Whatever works best for you, the Dots work best for me. Good luck to all.

13. old george

old george TS Member

I am left eye dominent.I have used Magic Dot for years and I highly reccomend them.Just had cataract surgery and haven't tried out my new vision yet !!!

14. bifurcated

bifurcated TS Member

The Magic Dots are great, but I found that they did not block enough light for me. These days I shoot a lot under the lights and my left eye would still pick up the target through the dot. I experienced a significant improvement using something that completely blocked the light.

I used to shoot one-eyed, but as others have mentioned, fatigue can become an issue. Also, if you shoot any of the other games peripheral vision really becomes a factor. Say for instance high 2 in skeet for a right-hander, like me.

My recommendation would be to try a patch of scotch tape, then try a patch of electrical tape. If you shoot the same definitely go with the Magic Dots. However, if you find that you shoot better with the electrical tape, then you will be better off with something that blocks more light.

I was using a heavy tape to block the central vision of the left eye for quite a while with great success. Then I saw my daughter putting her Colorforms pieces, which is a set of various vinyl pieces in all kinds of shapes and colors, on our living room windows. These pieces can be applied and removed many, many times because they work on the basis of static cohesion - no adhesives are involved. With so many pieces, she didn't miss few circles that I now have on my lens sets.

15. claysman

claysman TS Member

Looks like shooting one-eyed helps many shooters. Using dots or tape... I prefer the Magic Eye Dots. Hope y'all find the best way for you.

16. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used the Magic Dots for years. Then my scores started to go down. I spoke with Britt Robinson and he said I was probably trying to look around the dot. I went to a 3/4in. translucent piece of Scott's tape across the top of my right lens. I am right eye dominate left hand shooter, problem solved. This worked for me. hope this helps, Roy

17. BNicely

BNicely TS Member

I have no experience with the magic eye dots but as the father of two left eye/right handed sons I can say my experience has been to teach them to shoot left handed. Their left eyes were so strong that they were constantly trying to look down the barrel with their left eye holding the shotgun right handed. It took a little time for them to get adjusted to shooting left handed but it was the best way to go and I would recommend shooting with the stronger eye for any young shooters. It will not only help them with trapshooting but hunting as well.

Brian

18. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

What are the size of these Magic Dots?

John

19. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Unlike the Browning Magic Dots, the ones mentioned here do have adhesive on them. The Browning brand was static cling only and were much more easily repositioned.

20. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

They don't work at all for a one eyed shooter, if you only have one good eye you don't want to mess it up with a dot. They work pretty good for a two eyed shooter who wants to use only one eye but tape is cheaper. BTW why go to all the trouble of figuring out exactly where to put the tape, just tape up the whole durned lense and be done with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning magic dot
browning magic dot glasses shooting
do magic dots work
how does magic eye pictures work
magic dots trap shooting

shooters magic eye dot system

shooting dots in eyes
what is browning magic dot