1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic dot or bead blinder? Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

After being away from shooting for about seven years now. I think I got a little cross-firing going on. I'm a right handed two eyed shooter(right eye doninant), and I'm developing a bad habit if closing my left eye prior to calling for the bird on station five. I'm thinking of trying a bead blinder or magic dot to see if I can get a little more eye strength out of my right eye and keep both eyes open. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You should try both (yeah, I know, what a pain) as only you will be able to ascertain which works best..."For You".

I went through all the gadgets and after a lot of serious T&E, I settled with just taping the lens of the offending eye.

Lastly...get a copy of Phil Kiner's DVD.

Best of luck.

Curt

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

please read the above thread and make the decision pending the information you get from it.

Bryan

4. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Many variables here.

I started with a sight blinder; that was a flop because I could still see the target and the barrel with both eyes. Only the bead was gone from one eye.

Went to a dot, first opaque magic tape and then black electrical tape; started with 1/2" and went through 5/8", 3/4", 7/8" and 1". I still crossfired occasionally even with the 1" dot.

Phil Kiner stuck 1 1/2" of black cloth hockey tape across my left lens and I've been happy ever since.

What works for one person won't work for another. That's one of the things that's frustrating about cross eye dominance...there's no one answer to how you can deal with it. You have to find what works for you.

Mike Killian

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I use both ;o( only thing that works for me if I only use one I catch myself peeking unless I put enough on the glasses to block out the target completely and that kinda defeats the purpose might as well just close one eye.Jerry

6. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"I use both ;o( only thing that works for me if I only use one I catch myself peeking unless I put enough on the glasses to block out the target completely and that kinda defeats the purpose might as well just close one eye."</i>

Out of curiosity, what would say the purpose of the tape/dot is if not to block out visual input from your non-shooting eye? What does the dot allow you to see that's important to hitting the target? What would you NOT see that's important if you covered your off lens with tape (or closed your eye)?

Mike Killian

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The dot blurs the target but you can still see it apparently for me giving me better depth perception or periphial vision on a hard left target because if I close one eye I seldom hit one and with no dot or barrel blinder with both eyes open I never hit one,my best guess but it works for me.Jerry

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Uni-Dot.

But never look directly at the bead or it won't work. You have to use peripheral vision to bring the bead to the target.

9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I have used the Magic Dot for years, it just doesn't allow my left eye to see the front bead. It works great....but it takes time to get use to it...

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Tried both, plus other remedies. Out of all the trial and error, the Magic Dot worked the best. However, in sporting clays targets are coming from all directions and I find the most productive way is to acquire the target with both eyes and then close the off-eye as you take the shot. You need that initial 2 eyed vision in sporting.

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The sight blinder didn't work for me. I use a dot on my left lense and thought the blinder would allow me to shoot without the dot. It didn't work out real well and i really gave it a fair effort. I now use the dot on my lense but left the blinder on my rib for back-up. LOL
    [​IMG]

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Tried the magic dot(s). Tried tape. No joy. Tried the sight blinder. I used that to point instead of the bead. Tried a complete eye patch. Ugh!

I get the best results with a green dot sight in front of a long tube. The easy hit 2.5mm target sight is my favorite. It is bright enough to be picked up in your peripheral vision, but dim enough that it doesn't make you look at the bead. BTW, you can adjust the intensity downwards by putting pieces of tape over portions of the glow rod. If you want a smaller diameter dot, roll a piece of shim stock into a small tube and insert it into the sight tube.

If you shoot a really high gun and see an enormous amount of space between your beads, this sight may not work. It's left eye blocking tube is shorter than most, but that may not be enough. If not, use the Meadow Industries sight. It has a slit in the top of the tube so you can see the bead/dot no matter how high shooting your gun is.

Good luck.

13. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Fugetaboutit. Close your off eye.

14. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I failed to mention that I have started back shooting with an un-single. Could this be a contributing factor?I've heard Phil Kiner is the man to go to so I'll be orderring up his DVDs shortly.Thanks for the comments. Brad

15. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

That's a novel idea, but I'd think that it would encourage the shooter to check the sight to see if they were keeping their head down or not. The color red isn't picked up well by the peripheral vision especially in that small amount.

Mike K

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm tending to believe the high rib trend may make the problem worse for those individuals predisposed to this condition!!

17. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

The one thing I've heard Phil Kiner say about unsingles or high ribs is that some folks can shoot them and some folks can't.

Mike K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

magic eye or sight blinder