1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Magic dot eye system

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunters3, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunters3

hunters3 TS Member

Does this work? I have been over many articles and it is up for debate. I am a right handed shooter for more than 30 year and find to find out I am left eye dominant.Could someone out there that has tried this let me know your results.
  2. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Yes, it works for me. Takes a little time to get used to.

It is certainly worth a try.
  3. warren

warren Member

I think you should try it amoung all the other methods you can find. I have the same problem and nothing seems to help me except concentration and wearing a patch over my left eye at nite and the mourning just before I shoot. Phil Kiner knows more about this problem than anybody I know of.

warren
  4. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

A piece of scotch tape on my left lens works just like the magic dot for my left eye dominance. jm
  5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have nondominant eyes, and shoot with a small piece of scotch tape on my left lense. Everything is in 3D except the bead on the end of my barrel. I shoot very successfully this way. Mark
  6. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I tried the tape and magic dots for several months, with no luck. My scores went way down, and started to creep up, but were really bad. I decided to slam my left eye shut, and started shooting better right away.
  7. WJN

WJN TS Member

I tried the tape on my left lens with both eyes open and my focus seemed to dance all over the place. I had to go back to just shutting my left eye. If I use tape at all now it is just as a backup in case I blink open at the wrong time. Your mileage may vary.
  8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Does it work?

Yes for some, no for others.

The purpose of the tape is to prevent the off eye from seeing the target, not from seeing the bead. The bead should not be an issue; you should not consciuosly see it anyway.

Did a Kiner clinic several years ago and shot with a guy who could see right through the dot, even if it was a piece of black tape. If there was ANY input to his off eye, his brain would create and display an image of the target through his left eye, even though he could not actually see the target that way.

Ended up covering the entire off lens with black cloth tape before he had any improvement.

Keller
  9. Oregunner

If the target isn't somewhere near the bead, you've got other problems to deal with. There is a bird/bead relationship. It is just what you focus on. If you are mounting the gun on your shoulder, there is no way that you cannot see the bead on the end of your barrel. Just don't look at it. Mark
  10. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

If the crossfire is your problem, Phil Kiner suggests that you do whatever it takes to solve the problem. You can start with a rib blinder or crossfire preventer hooded fiber optic front bead. If that is not enough then try larger and larger tape patches on your off shoulder eye lens or finally closing the offending eye completely.
  11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob TS Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYVKRe29B8

Easy Hit 5" fiber optic sight .... only the eye behind the rib can see the bead.
  12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I can tell Mark that you don't suffer from our debilitating condition. Our problem is not seeing the bird bead relationship; its seeing too damned many of them!

huntersTrip,

Occlude the left eye by any of the myriad of methods you can think of until you find what works for you. I'd start with scotch tape as it's cheap and easily experimented with for placement and degree of coverage.

My wife Boom-Boom closes her offending orbit. I use magic dots on my lens and keep both peepers open.

You can also use Chapstick to smear the left lens for experimentation without messing with the tape....

I tried all the end of your barrel gadgets, but none worked for me as well as the occlusion technique.

Mr. Kiner will be busy during the next week or three, but I know he is very motivated to help informally any who reach out to him with the cross eyed shooting disease.

Good Luck!

Guy Babin
  13. Oregunner

Guy, I do see two beads, if I don't have tape on my left lense. With my nondominant eyes, neither bead lines up with the target. I have to force my right eye to take over. A small scotch tape patch works for me. Mark
  14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

A fellow sufferer afterall!

I'm sure you'd agree that one-eyed shooters are the smartest and best looking shooters there are--even if our scores aren't always up to snuff.

Guy
  15. Don Bailor

Don Bailor TS Member

used a magic dot for about 15 yrs and thousands of rds. it worked to get my first couple 100 straights, switched to tapeworks just as well just a little harder to adjust. make sure your head is in the correct shootin position so your eye does not see the bead ,this may take several adjustments. i've since gone to a hooded bead this yr and am really likeing that set up. good luck
  16. EEB

EEB Member

Go to Office Depot and buy a packet of the opaque colored sticky dots used for filing. They come in clear plastic packaging. A couple hundred for less than $10 and they come in all shades to match your lens color. They work for me.
  17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

As recommended above, one of the Office Supply stores will have these. Cost about $7-$9 for two lifetime supplies. They are basically the same thing as the Browning Dots which are no longer made. Works for me.

grntitan_2009_2503239.jpg

Get the see through dots like I showed above. They allow light through but does not allow the offending eye to see the site.
  18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Chapstick works just as well until ye figures out where the occlusion needs 2 go. Not that the above aren't good suggestions.

Guy B.
  19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I buy my Magic Dot "systems" by the roll...

-Gary

gw22_2008_030379.jpg
  20. Big Jack

Big Jack Active Member

Being a converted lefty with a right dominate eye, I can understand the problem. I tried dots. celophane tape, electrical tape, and finally resorted to black nail polish on the top half of the right lens. Tried shutting one eye but found I was squinting with the other and restricting my view of the target, and I ended up cheating and peeking. If I see any motion of target or barrel with the right eye, it takes over. Blocking out most of the right lens has worked for me. Both eyes are wide open but only one can see the target. Kiner suggested more tape was needed and this is probably an overkill but it works for me.

Big Jack