1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Magazine ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Is it ok to keep ammo in a magazine for an extended period of time?

Phil Berkowitz

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

“Nothin' more useless than an unloaded gun. ”

-- Tony Soprano

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

On the serious side... springs wear out faster by being cycled (compressed. relaxed, compressed, relaxed) than they do being held in a compressed state for an extended period assuming they're properly made from the right material.

Keller

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Keller nailed it. I store mine with one less cartridge then its capacity. I've got some Mec-Gar mags for my Sig 220 that have been loaded for years. I'll check them out at the range today and let you all know how they function.

Wayne

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Interesting subject - thank you, Phil, for posting it and to those who responded. I've always believed that common sense dictated that a spring would be weakened by constantly being compressed. I always turned the crankshafts in our racing engines a quarter-turn every week during the off-season so the valve springs wouldn't be weakened. It's nice to know that my firearms' springs are safe.

And when you think about it, the preferred storage practice for the old 1911 pistol is "cocked and locked" and they go "bang" repeatedly when called upon. I remove the bolts from my rifles when they are in my safe to avoid neighboring rifles' stocks from being scuffed by bolt handles. I was so anal that I dissembled each bolt so I could relax the firing pin spring! It's nice to know that I no longer have to do that.

There - I learned my "one thing" for today.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.