1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mag-Lite malfunction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I have a 3-battery Mag-lite in which the top (third) battery won't come out. No amount of banging, prying with a knife, etc. will get it to move. And I can't get past the bulb/switch assembly at the other end of the flashlight. Any ideas?

Ted K.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Try banging it some more. Seriously, hit it as hard as you can against a piece of wood.

3. WWB

WWB Member

Maybe that battery swelled or even burst and is really tight plus corroded.
    Try a bit of baking soda and some water and let it fizz and smoke abit then
    give her a good straight rap down on some wood.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A really long screw screwed halfway into the bottom of the stuck battery and the head tightened in a good vise then twist and pull on the light body. A spray of WD40 inside the tube might help.

Eric

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Probably one of those damn reloaded batteries. Should get you a scale Ted. :)

6. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

can’t remove the tailcap from my Mag® flashlight. I have even put pliers on it and tried to twist it off, but it's absolutely frozen or stuck. Is this problem covered by my warranty?
    When you cannot remove the tailcap to change the batteries, it almost certainly indicates that the batteries have leaked and sealed everything inside the flashlight. Unfortunately, Mag does not warrant against battery leakage, however, we do have agreements with Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. If one of these brands of batteries has leaked in your flashlight, send the flashlight to us and we will repair or replace it at no charge to you. We recommend that you ship the flashlight UPS or Postal Insured for tracking purposes. Please send to; Mag Instrument, Inc., Attn; Warranty Dept., 1721 E. Locust St., Ontario, Ca. 91761-7769. You pay the freight to us and we pay it going back. Please also include a letter with your name, address, phone number and description of the problem. Don’t forget to indicate what brand of battery is inside if you know. Once we verify it is Duracell, Eveready or Ray-O-Vac, we will send you a new flashlight at no charge. Occasionally we open the flashlight and we find it contains leaking batteries that are not Duracell, Eveready and Ray-O-Vac. In cases of "off-brand" battery leakage, we can replace your flashlight for a charge of -- $12.00 plus your state's sales tax for a ‘C’ or ‘D’ Mag-Lite® flashlight, or $8.00 plus tax for a Mini-Maglite® flashlight. If you are not sure, send the flashlight to us, with the batteries inside, and we will check to determine the brand. If we find that they are "off-brand" batteries, we will contact you and arrange for payment before sending you the replacement flashlight.

I just had onr replaced on warranty, Icoukdent remove the cap

7. rd

rd TS Member

Not to hijack the thread, but if you like maglights, you will love these maglight extended handles!

8. WJN

WJN TS Member

Happened to me before. Battery leaked and swelled. The basic construction is an aluminum tube. Secure the tube in a vise and use a small pipe wrench to get the end cap off. Once that is done you can drive the battery out with a wooden dowel. Clean up the damage and corrosion. If you don't want to fool with it send it to Maglite they are very good about fixing their lights.

Jim

9. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

Take the rubber off the switch, now reach into the center of the switch with an allen wrech, I believe its like a 5/32" allen. Loosen the set screw that is down there that will release the switch assembly, now with the bulb removed use a wooden dowl and drive the switch and battery out of the bottom. You may damage the switch assembly but you can get those fairly cheap. If the battery did leak then I would replace the switch assembly any way. Or just let mag-lite deal with it.

John MI

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

This was a good thread. I've battled this problem too, but was lucky enough to get the leaky cell out. That wasn't the end, however, as all of that corrosion has to come out too, or you're right back where you started when it comes time to change batteries.

Thanks John, MI for the tip about the switch.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Time for a ew flashlight.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Send it back to MagLight, they have a Lifetime warrantee ... If they can't fix it they send you a new one ... I still have one from my Fire Dept days and works like it brand new ... Not sure if they are still in business ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Had this problem, make sure you wear old clothes working on the stuck batteries the acid will eat through your clothes.

14. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like the best bet is to send it back to Mag-Lite, which is what I'm going to do. They're only a couple of hundred miles from me.

Grntitan - no, I didn't reload the battery, just the bulb. But if I shot a reloaded shell into the bottom of the flashlight, do you think that would fix it? If so, would you hold the flashlight while I shoot? And don't worry, at short range I'm pretty sure I can hit the flashlight, if you will just hold it still.

Ted K.

15. zaob1

zaob1 Member

Time to throw it away and buy a new one. Can't leave batteries in them for too long with out usage. Been using Mag-Lite's for years with no problems, but I change batteries every two months. Never let them stand.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.