1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Made in USA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 90Tshooter, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I went to the local Gander Mountain to buy a pocket knife. I looked at Gerber and Buck knives and turned to the back of the package and found Made in China. I looked at a Kershaw. Quality steel blade, solid construction, light weight, Made in USA. Sold! I urge everyone to do the same so we at TS.com aren't fighting over why a company sent there work to China.

Joe

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The Ken Onion "Leek" assisted opening pocket knife made by Kershaw is sold at a very reasonable price. Made in Orygun, free sharpening annually, part serrated or not, black, chrome, and others. This is a preferred knife for emergency responders because it can be smoothly opened and closed one handed and is quite handy in clearing of seat belts and such in collisions....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You kind of indirectly mentioned on of my biggest peaves. Premium companies selling premium labeled items (and still getting their premium prices) but delivering red china made stuff. Shortly after Chicago pnuematic started importing air tools, people figured it out and were willing to pay more for a USA made rebuild than for a brand new import, because of the quality and longivity. My favorite boots, RedWings are now importing some of their line. I made the clerk find me USA made ones before I bought. I am the kind of man who would rather have one good item that a house full of cheapies. I am willing to pay for that quality. I hate companies who then turn around and stick me with low quality or single production run items made by slaves in asia.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Then there are some who think assembled in the USA is the same thing.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

It is possible that the packaging was made in China, but the knife was made here or elsewhere. Is the knife itself marked China?

Kiv

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Glad by Buck 3 blade pocket knife was made in the USA - stamped on the blade . Where are the Swiss knives made ? Lots of copies there too . I had to give mine up in the airport in Spain . Should have put it in the luggage instead of my pocket like I have done for 50 years .

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

One that royally torques my gonads is DeWalt, I needed a chop saw a few years ago and was at Home Repo they had a GM chop saw clearly marked made in China and DeWalt that said made in the USA, like an idiot I paid $100 more for a DeWalt made in the USA, when I got home and opened it, the label said made in china

I will never buy another piece of dewalt again

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Buck knives used to be located in San Diego area, but they moved a few years back to Idaho. See the website above.

That's about as American as you can get!

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Some Buck knives are made here, some in China, so BE careful! Schrade knives used to be made here, but are now all Chinese. Not all Kershaw knives are made in the USA. Some here, some in Japan and elsewhere...BE careful! I see Gerber's are for the most part made in China as well.

I say SCREW all of the American companies that set up shop in Asia! I go out of my way to whenever possible buy American made and if you look hard enough, there is still a lot of stuff produced here...but, it takes some real looking sometimes.

10. rocko

rocko Member

Check out madeinusa.org You can find all most everything

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I got this from another web site, seems like Buck had outsourced some of their cheaper knives to sell at Walmart and the like, and are now trying to get back all production to the USA. From the Oregon Knife Shop:

Kudos to Buck Knives for their renewed commitment to the hard working men and women of the USA. One of the initiatives that Buck has set forth is move more and more manufacturing back to their US operations in Post Falls, Idaho from China. We applaud Chuck, CJ and family for their commitment to quality and our economy.

Economic factors have forced manufacturers such as Buck to move some (or in some cases all) knife production to southeast Asia to be competitive. Feeling the pressure, Buck moved some knife production to Asia including a couple lower end hunting knives in their lineup.

Now that the Post Falls, Idaho plant is ramping up production and achieving some efficiencies, Buck has moved some value model knife production as well as all of their legendary hunting knife line back to the US. To the Buck family and employees, we say thank you. To the customer looking for a legendary blade at a reasonable price we say look no further.

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for things like NAFTA and the huge imbalance of the import/export taxes I would be willing to bet there would be more companies like Buck Knives.

Good for them!!

Bill

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have no problem with a split manufacturing base but those produced in other countries shouldn`t be able to be sold in the USA , keep them for other Asian or Mexican countries . Johnson and Johnson among others have done this years ago with their diaper products to be competitive with the world and they boxed and advertized in cartons that fit the language in other countries . Sorry to say that they make their way back home to the US !!!!

14. STOS

STOS Member

Another fine company located just 7 miles from Buck knives is Ponsness/Warren Reloaders.100% USA made since 1962.

15. GoldEx

GoldEx Well-Known Member

Not all models of Buck knives are made in China. You have to check the packaging.

Jeff

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tron, aren't you the same guy who is always bashing Ford, GM, and Chrysler as making nothing but junk? Or do I have you confused with someone else on this site?

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Bisi, that's the other Tron you're referring to. He's a snarky little weasel and I've never really cared much for him. I'm the good Tron, the one that likes American cars, Apple pie and stuff like that.

Try to keep us straight next time.

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks Tron, for clearing up the confusion.

Maybe we can get the other guy to sign on as aka Tron, but he probably wouldn't fall for that trick. LOL

I'll do my best to keep the 2 Trons seperate in my mind.

Good Tron

Bad Tron

Good Tron

Bad Tron

I think I got it.

19. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I former employee of mine brought me 2 tins of butter cookies the other day, I ate 2-3 and for some reason looked at the back of the pretty tin..MADE IN CHINA.. in a factory that uses soy, egg..bla bla bla.. I threw the cookies out for the chickens..

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

The food items are what really amaze me.

We're the breadbasket of the world...the other shitholes can't even feed their own people...and we're buying food items from them? What's wrong here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.