1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Made in Japan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bachgris, Jul 31, 2013.

1. bachgris

bachgris TS Member

Is it just the BT-99, or are all Brownings (XT, Cynergy) made in Japan these days?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They have been making guns in Miroku, Japan for a long time. I believe Browning started using Miroku in the mid to late 70's.'s. They also make many Winchester rifles now as well. As stated above, nothing wrong with their quality that I've ever seen.

3. FIB

FIB Member

I agree 100% with the previous posters!

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Not all Brownings are made in Japan, but the ones you listed are. Jeff

5. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

I have heard Browning went to Miroku because European steel could not hold up to steel shot. I have also heard warranty claims went to zero on Browning products manufactured in Japan.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The BT99 came out in the late 60s from Miroku as the handwriting on the wall was that losing money on every Superposed wasn't going to continue. The Miroku Superposed (Citori) came out in the early 70s with the Superposed still being manufactured through the custom shop.

Miroku, I think, also made guns under the Daly nameplate...

Great Quality...

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Miroku Dalys preceded the Citori, and stopped when Browning either got the rights or bought B.C. Miroku. The Daly was, after all, a copy of the Superposed.

HM

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Maybe their warranty claim numbers dropped because Americans tired of their poor warranty service and have local gunsmiths repair their Brownings. I know firsthand that at least their communication skills are lacking.

I bought one of the first Citori Plus guns shipped here. The manual stated that the recoil reduction system needs no lubrication but grease continually oozed out of mine. My rib jingled and rang, the recoil system make clicking noises and the instructions for adjusting point of impact would have you chasing too far up and down if you follow them. I wrote a letter to their St. Louis service center asking about those things.

THREE MONTHS later, I was advised that the recoil system leaks grease because it requires no lubrication, that the rib makes noises because it is fully adjustable for point of impact and the recoil system clicks because it absorbs felt recoil. Really. Was my letter sent to Japan where it was translated into Japanese, replied to and then sent back to the U.S. where it was translated back into English?

A friend sent a salt-wood trap gun in for the factory-recommended wood replacement. Six months later, they wrote - not called - to tell him that since the gun had release triggers, they would not work on it. Frustrated, he paid them $75.00, if I recall correctly, to remove the release parts but told them he wanted them returned to him, to which they agreed. Many, many months later, the gun was returned MINUS the release trigger parts. Several more months of letters and phone calls later, they finally and grudgingly reimbursed him for new releases.

Maybe their service has improved. I place a lot of importance on customer service and sold my Citori Plus shortly after receiving that nonsense of a letter.

Ed