1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Made in America

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JJJ, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

After 50 years of reloading for rifle cartridges,I made a very stupid mistake.

The result was a stuck case. Thank God,the die was not made in China. I contacted Redding & they will free the stuck case & polish the die.Total charge,is the cost to mail the die back to me.

Sounds to me their guarantee is as good as Dillon's NO BS guarantee.
    Joe Jordan

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's a shame that it is so hard to find anything that isn't made in china, I still believe the best products come from America, and will contimue to pay more for them if I can find them. The bad part is alot of people don't care where the product comes from as long as it's cheap, and they get what they pay for, junk.

I won't go into a walmart, I believe they are doing as much damage to this country as the politicians have been for the last 20 years

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I don't think the problem is WalMart... its the consumer, who begs for "Made in USA", but wont pony up the coin...

I shop at WalMart - they employ thousands of legal employees, but I make it a practice to buy USA, so if all I buy are USA made toiletries, paper goods and on occasion some steel shot ammo - so whats so bad about that?!

Is it any better to shop higher end store which stock "made in china", "hecho en chine" products?! If I can, I will always choose a family run business instead of "big box" store...

American consumers want inexpensive goods. period. Sears is jobbing out Craftsman hand tools to china - glad I bought mine years ago... Try finding USA made tools... there are some, just look at the packaging, before you buy.

WalMart is just facilitating buying preferences for middle America...

regards all,

Jay

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Jay I bought a lot of Craftsman tools over the years. The problem is when you break one and take it back now you got made in China.

5. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Walmart is meeting a consumer demand for cheap goods. They sell a lot of american made products too. Problem is we're getting taxed to hell and have to stretch an already thinned out dollar, blame your government, not Walmart.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

RemStar... didn't think about that! Hopefully they're not stamped "made in china" (lol)

thanks!

Jay

7. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

You even need to watch MAC these days. I bought a set of axle sockets off the Mac truck with absolutely no marking of where they are made. They say Mac on them but the tool man doesn't know where they are made!

Steve

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If it dose not sau where something is made, it's made in America. Only those items not made in America must state it somewhere on the product.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

WalMart is the largest retailer in America, they have a host of American made products as well as imported goods because all of the American jobs have gone to other countrys thanks to our Government and the outsourceing of jobs over time ... The machines that were needed to make the American made goods have been sold to other countrys so now we have no choice but to deal with the other countrys on many occasions ... Sam Walton wanted his business to be stocked with American made products exclusively at one time but the American people demanded more and priced cheaper so there was no choice in the matter ... The WalMart Corp of today was built on American integrity and quality and again the American Public wanted more things at cheaper prices which is what they have today ... I love to hear people tell how they will never shop at or never have shopped at WalMart which in most cases is unadulterated BS ... WalMart never could of become the largest retailer in America if that was true ... WalMart now has food items in the Super WalMarts and they are open 24 hours a day to handle the customer base ... If WalMart don't have it, you probably won't need it no matter where its made or what it is ... Thats the way big business works like it or not ... WalMart is also one of the largets employers of American people who depend on WalMart to feed and house their familys ... WalMart is here to stay so get used to it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm very happy that everyone loves walmart and supports their existance, it's a great thing to have such a loyal following, and praising all the great things the organization does for the local community.

It has been a great source of low cost items that the world we live in could not survive without, I guess that's why everyone thinks they are entitled to some thing at low cost or free no matter what the cost is down the road.

Just think in a few more years with the same mentality, we will have sent every manufacturing job, and machinery to produce products overseas to get the cheapest made products that can be found world wide, heck, we won't even have the equipment in the good ol USA to make toilet paper, but it will be cheaper to buy it from china, perhaps with radioactive waste embedded so our butts will glow, but we will be saving energy too, as you won't need a night light to wipe your ass.

Then some day the countries that we have endeared to build our products will tell us to pay up or take a hike, and at that point we will have to, as we will have no choice.

Yup walmarts and all the big boxes are the best way to do it, just ask all the small businesses that have been put out of business by the aboility of mass purchasing by big bucks.

I'm sure that it won't bother most of the people on here as they are retired and have forgotten that the sweet taste of low cost is soon forgotten by the bitterness of poor quality

Flame on

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One note on "Foreign" made powders. It looks like the exchange rate will make them more expensive to use, as time goes on. When the Dollar is devalued, you get less for it, especially from overseas. I don't particularly use Alliant Powders only because they are Made in the USA. I use them because they perform well, are reasonabley priced, and the company has been known to give back and support shooters. A recent donation from Alliant to a cause was enough for them to earn points in my book. Besides, I'm a "Promo" junky. I seem to get two jugs for a little more than the price of one of the "Other" powder options.

Warranty is another issue. Most of the USA manufacturers will stand behind their products. Good luck trying to get help from some third rate Chinese manufacturers. I deal with computer parts and the ones that have offices and resources in the USA are the ones to deal with.

Joe,

With regards to the stuck case.....Buy a stuck case remover and the odds are you will never need to use it. The only time you'd need it is when you don't have one. You can borrow mine next time you need it.

12. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Fred, all of Alliant's powders are not made in the USA. Many of their rifle powders are imported, i.e., all of the "Reloder" series powder.

EE

13. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

My company built some of the finest and most advanced machinery in the world. I built CNC machinery to drill/ream and ball size oil pump holes in the complete line of Borg Warner T-4/T-5/T-6 manual transmissions.I built almost all the piston manufacturing machinery that made Onan generator pistons/OMC outboard pistons/Cummins and DDA pistons and some of the machinery for the VW pistons that were made in Fort Wayne,Indiana and special machinery for more things than you could probably imagine.After NAFTA it actually became more cost effective to manufacture pistons in Fort Wayne,Indiana and ship them by truck to Mexico City,then to build them in Wolfsburg,Germany and ship them to Mexico. The point is that it didn't take very many years for the bean counters to figure out that technology had allowed them to manufacture wherever in the world that they could get the lowest labor cost. Once the bean counters figured out that the machinery didn't care if the guy loading it was paid $15.00 per hr or $.15 cents per hr,the US factory worker was screwed.All that machinery that was built in Muncie,Indiana is still somewhere in the world,churning out parts day after day. The machinery that America built to make it capable of building quality products to compete with any product in the world,is being used against us in this economic environment.There are many reasons for the current lack of manufacturing jobs here in the US,the biggest of these reasons is greed on the part of the bean counters who will sell their mother for a savings of $1.00 per thousand pieces,of what ever in the hell they are buying. Thats what they do.They would be a failure if they paid $1.00 more per 1,000 just to get made in the US pieces.The other one who must share MOST of the blame is the US consumer. It is as true today as it was thirty years ago when this mind set started,IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY A COMPANY HAS INVESTED IN THEIR PRODUCT. If people won't buy it because it isen't made in the USA,it will go straight to the dump and companies will very quickly quit outsourceing and bring all that machinery back to the USA,WHERE IT BELONGS,so that people will buy their product. DON'T BUY ANYTHING NOT MADE IN THE USA. NO EXCUSES/NO,JUST SOMETIMES/NOT EVER,NEVER.If you can't buy USA made, do without,your grandkids and their grandkids will thank you.We all know how hard this is to do and sometimes it seems impossible to do,but we absolutely have to try.(I shoot a Win M12 & a Win SX1 & a 6th hand MX3)
    Patrick Swartz

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Catpower.....I'm on your side. For those people who love walmart and endorse their employment policies I hope their grand kids don't have to rely on the paycheck and insurance policies. Buy a little stock and its the best thing since bubblegum. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.