1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Made In America

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by otnot, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

It is almost impossible to buy anything made in the USA. I finally found the above site that lists products made here.

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I went to Lowes yesterday and couldn't believe that I could find everything I was looking for was made in America.

Channel Lock
    Crescent wrench
    Washer machine hose (didn't expect that)

I could have boughten a three pack of the Lowes brand Kobalt crescent style wrenches for the same as one 10" Crescent brand, but I was happy to be able to buy it.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Companies like GE and Boeing sending all the work to China. U. S companies create 1.4 million jobs last year. All the jobs went overseas. If the jobs were kept here our unemployment would be down to 8%. Not only is Boeing sending jobs to China they are giving our trade secrets to them. Futhermore, they are teaching them how to build aircraft. Cheaper labor rates. Jobs going over seas because of cheaper labor and mexican comming here will work for cheaper wages. How does our future look?

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

And its those same companies that want tax breaks and subsidies from the Federal, State and local governments.

5. shelly

shelly TS Member

It's all Wal-Mart's fault, or is it Bush's- I forget.

6. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

The companies will get tired of Chinese labor also, once they start demanding better pay. By then we'll be in such bad shape they'll move back here.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

ChannelLock is made in Meadville, PA. (northwestern corner of PA), the city next to where I live. It is a quality company and quality people. They make quality tools.

A little while back they announced production of a new Fireman's rescue tool. As soon as I read the newspaper I called them to inquire where I could get one for my daughter. She is a volunteer firefighter and EMT. This was on Christmas Eve morning. It had not yet been distributed to the stores but they told me if I could get there before 5:00 P.M. I could buy it right at the office. They would have one sent up from the factory.

My wife went directly in to town and dropped off the payment but the tool had not yet arrived from the factory. I could pick it up in the afternoon.

I got there a little before 4:00. The outside door was unlocked but the inside door was locked. I buzzed their buzzer and someone came out to meet me. I explained the reason for my visit. They could not help me but they made a couple of calls and one of the executives came out. It seemed that the boss had given the entire staff off, beginning at Noon, for the Christmas break. The Executive could have just told me Sorry BUT SHE DID NOT AND WENT OUT OF HER WAY TO HELP! She was not aware that my wife had dropped off the payment earlier but the tool had not yet arrived from the factory at that time. I wrote down my name, address and phone number and gave it to her in case there was any problem with the payment.

She took me to their Executive Sales Meeting room and took the one tool they had on display right off their display board and gave it to me. My daughter found it under the Christmas tree just about twelve hours later. When they reopened, we got a call from ChannellLock telling us they found the check and everything was okay.

As far as I am concerned, CHANNELLOCK IS THE ONLY PLACE to get any tool that you need and they make!

Also please note that their name is CHANNELLOCK (all one word) so be careful in case someone is trying to sell a "knock-off" by using a two word name.

8. porky

porky TS Member

As soon as the Chinese industry is built up, prices will rise for their work and parts. So will tensions between them and the world. They will be the bullies looking to impose their philosophy on the world. They will also say screw you UN.

9. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

My wife works for Boeing here in Kansas, she works on the military side and they just keep laying off. I'm telling you this because along about 2003 both our Senators voted to allow the military to purchase overseas. One of the senators is now our governor and he cannot understand how come Airbus will probaly be building our Tankers. John Moore

10. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

The CHANNELLOCK story above reminds me of a Saturday morning at the UPS hub at DFW Airport. My 3200 was stuck in their processing area (I was getting it back from Pat Laib). I had a tournament starting in just a few hours. Nobody seems to know what to do or how to help me. Then I saw a manager/executive leaving the parking lot due to his shift (night) being over.

After a long day....he stopped and went back into the terminal and found my gun. I made the shoot just in time. USA company and USA employees. I now only use UPS.

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Good website... not all inclusive but a good start. I emailed Randall knives, Emerson, Henry, and Redding websites to be included to the list.

12. wproct

wproct Member

Good website. Taking the time to try to buy American made products is one of the most patriotic things you can do, IMHO.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I lkie the idea of 'made in the USA' but realistically I don't think that will ever return to mainstream supply.

More likely is that the really successful companies will be globally diversified such that upswings in one part of the world market will carry the downturn in other markets. The flow of manufacturing will favor the depressed markets which is why it is important to maintain manufacturing capabilities in those regions.

What that means for the USA is that our labor costs have to drop significantly if we are to get back into the game. You can see this change occuring right now as there are a lot of folks looking for any kind of work.

14. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

In order have more products made in the U.S.A. We as americans must buy those products! Too long have we looked at price ONLY, until we understand that the U.S. workers are the best in the world and that saving a dollar and helping china is not the right thing to do. Give our kids and grandkids a chance for a well paying job and buy American!

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

AEST BOSS,not all UPS transactions are trouble free. yours is the exception not the rule. Althoug it suited your purposes , don't you think it a little strange that an off duty supervisor walked out of a UPS terminal with your package? Not a good thing is it?

16. maka

maka Member

Our local Menards store sent out a new flyer. Many items featured, made in USA. Every thing from cleaning supplies to push brooms to tools. In TV ad's they indicated where in USA. items were actually made.

17. capulona

capulona TS Member

It would be simplistic to think that buying USA will make a significant difference in the global economy, other than make you feel good about your purchase.

But this will: make sure your kids study hard and pursue excellence in academics. Instill the curiosity for learning and hunger for information and strive for competition. The only way we can stay competitive is in the field of innovation be it technology, services, infrastructure or finance.

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

"Made in USA" is definitely coming back. More and more products are being made here because the American people are so desperate for work and accept wages their Fathers would have bawked at. The cost of doing business in China and other places is no longer as attractive as it once was, not to mention the hassles.

As far as quality goes, I have always found that American companies that aren't tied to the stock market have as good or better quality than any other country in the world....but, once they are tied to Wall Street, then profit and appeasing the shareholders are the main focus. Quality and value take a back seat every time when that happens.

19. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Hi Folks,

A couple of years ago I started putting the 4 x 4 Made In USA / flag stickers on all our wad boxes.

I called in one day to order more. And the nice lady at the order desk ask if I would like to save some money on the order. Ok, whats the deal? We have the same sticker only on the bottom it says "PRINTED IN MEXICO"!

Let me get this right I can buy a Made in USA sticker that says printed in Mexico on it? Yes Sir, you can. Now I'm a little wound up. So I ask how many do you sell? She said more than the others, "I think people just cut that part off"!

I passed on the offer.

Then folks wonder where their jobs went!!

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

20. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

The main problem we found is price. We offer tees, sportshirts, sweatshirts, windshirts, and jackets made in the USA (New York, PA, Michigan, and Ohio) which look the same as their overseas counterparts, and are better quality, however the cost, for an example, shooting tee shirt, is approximately 3.00 more, and most Americans choose the cheaper item made overseas, so we took them off our website. They are available, and we offer them, so I wish I knew the answer. We would love nothing more than to sell all USA made shooting garments.......

Sue at Pine Tree Sportswear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.