1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Machining Skills

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3YfTtGCsiD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. Just wow.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dang looked like he even beveled the rod caps that point towards the crank journals. That Dude cut no corners. Very skilled and his lathe must be very tight and precise to cut such perfect fitting pieces. I noticed some German labels on the live center. Those dang Germans know how to build stuff right.

There you go Brian. You got that hobby lathe from your friend. Think your neck hurts now, can you imagine after hours of that?

3. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Damnation, that's awesome

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

There are no words!!! And I got excited about make a firing pin or two.

--- Chip King ---

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, no gaskets at all, no spark plugs, so it must be a Diesel?

What skill, very good.

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Does it fire up?

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Now you see why FIAT failed in the U.S...their engines were too small.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it was just running on air pressure. I have however seen similar miniature engines that run on gas and diesel on YouTube.

9. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

He did a great job! Where I work as a toolmaker 30 guys also do great work. They can't show it on YouTube or Trapshooters.com. As for saying "Germans know how to build stuff right", you leave out all the others who are just as good or better.
    You want to see an engine that tops this, go to the Finnish company Wartsila.
    Moore jig grinders are as good as any in the world and better than most. The Japanese purchased them and did their best to copy them. They couldn't come close. I really admire the design, engineering, skill and work ethic that was presented in the video. I am 65 yo and owned my own tool and die shop 32 years.
    Now I suffer serious heart disease and am lucky to trap shoot with my friend two 16 yd rounds on a Sunday weather and funds permitting. My wife has past away from Inflammatory breast cancer and her bill totaled $4,100,000.00. $One hundred thousand to the nursing home. I get very tired all the time and am going to take a nap now. What a fantastic video and accomplishment!! Thanks for Posting it!!
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Harry Lyga

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I also think it is running on compressed air. Every year in January there is a event in York, Pa. called cabin fever that has 100's of model engines (gas, diesel, compressed air) running on display. Ferrari V12 hooked to a miniature dyno, 426 Hemi with dual AFB's Chevy's Ford flat heads, you name it they got it, also sell kits for someone who would like to build one. By the end of the day you can see the layer of smoke and fumes coming down from the ceiling. This engine runs about 100 RPM
    toolmaker251_2008_030365.jpg

11. warren

warren Member

amazinz

warren

12. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

little chevy

13. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some people's machining skills are just incredible.

14. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I work on Swiss machines, I know small parts. I work +\- .0003. However good I am at keeping those tolerances, I am thoroughly impressed with conventional milling and lathe work. This is very impressive.

Chris M

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Small work is very impressive. I do wonder what tolerances were used in the subject post. Looser is probably better than tighter on that machine. Impressive is the cam and crank set up and turning. Of course, a mistake could spell disaster. Very Impressed. Thanx for posting.

16. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It has to be running on compressed air. The crankcase is wide open with no way to hold oil. Also, the heads were closed, no sparkplug holes. Still, that's one heck of a job

17. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

If you go to a web site for the North American Model Engineering Society you will see many other models of similar quality. They are truly amazing.

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

One of the Skeet shooters @ Pine Belt NJ Built a complete 1/4 scale hemi V8 that runs on gas. Started with a solid aluminum block and made all the parts for it in his shop.
    Joe

19. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That is some incredible machining. The cutting of the crank is impressive enough, but the cams, wow!

Remember back about 2003 at Vandalia, some guy had a scale Perazzi O/U, I think it was 1/4 scale. It looked perfect!

20. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Memories of the days when I first entered employment, and did my machinist apprentice work at the Gleason Works in Rochester, NY.

Nothing was automatic back then, all hand machines like shown here.

Now retired afer years and years as a mechanic on all these old boys. New ones are nice, but give me the old ones for precision work. I hand scraped so many cast iron ways so the craftsmen could do quality work, I still do it in my sleep at times.

Thanks for the many memories once again ! This was impressive !!!

Dave in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.