1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Macon Gunstocks or Wenig?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BillRogers, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillRogers

BillRogers TS Member

I need to get a replacement stock made for a TMX. I have narrowed my chioce to either Macon or Wenig. Has anyone had any dealings with either of these companies and was their work satisfactory? Thanks in advance, Bill.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A while ago, a lot of people on this forum said to stay away from Macon. I use Dennis DeVault for all my work.

Phil Berkowitz

3. boba7449

boba7449 Member

i had wenig make me a stock a year ago and the work was outstanding.. highly recommend....

4. AlanM

AlanM Member

Just got my gun back from Wenig, and the stock is absolutely great, could not have made a better choice.

Alan

5. butcher

butcher Member

I had Wenig make me a couple of stocks a few years back and was pleased with their work.

6. K.80

K.80 TS Member

Just got 2 back from wenig great work. Also taking 2 others up to be fitted on friday.

7. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I bought a Macon a couple of months ago. Good stock, you just have to stay on them.

8. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Between my son and myself, we have bought several stock sets from Macon. Never a problem, and always good quality wood. In some cases the wood was a grade up from what we thought we were getting, never a grade down. These have all been semi-finished sets that we fitted and finished ourselves, so I can't comment on having them complete a set from start to finish. Wait time usually 4-6 weeks.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I have used 'hammer fit' stocks from both Macon and Wenig, and both worked just fine and gave good value for utilitarian grade wood.

Their 'good ones' I cannot speak to.

Bob

10. rdf59

rdf59 Member

From what I have observed -- Wenig

11. LI

LI TS Member

Another vote for Wenig. I adopted padded combs way back when they first came out but the custom fitted Wenig stock I now have allows me to shoot with a wood comb and is awesome. Larry

12. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I just purchased a Blaser Combo that came with a Wenig Harland Campbell style custom stock on it. First time I have had a "Custom" stock.All I can say is that I sure like the one that came with my new Blaser.

Jim Bradbury

13. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Best get fitted rather than buy off the shelf. I have done business with Wenig from the time Fred started. New ownership but the quality and attention to detail seem to remain.

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Not to break the love fest, but AFAIC Wenig sux. My experience w/ them was substantially below anything that would be remotely satisfying. I subsequently discovered that my experience was far from unique. What I got back from them looked very much like it had been done late on a Friday afternoon by a new hire - and they were not the least interested in my observations.

Good luck if you use them.

15. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

My wife had a stock custom fitted and made at wenig. It does not fit her.
    Not good!!!

The new stock bruises her face. She gets a red mouse on her cheek after shooting one round of trap. Her scores went way down. She won't use the gun
    anymore as it beats her up.

Arnie

16. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

My experience is that Wenig is a very good stock maker......not a great stock fitter..SMOKIT

17. rad 53

rad 53 Member

I don't know about Wenig, but Macon sent me a semi-finished schnable forend for my Perazzi type 3 which matched my stock extremely well.This they did by a photo of my stock and from half way round the world! Go the Macon Brothers! Regards from down under,Donald.

18. 682b

682b Member

In the past I have finished Stocks from Wenig And Macon. The Wenig stocks were very nice since I sent them the wood but I did not like their pricing policy. It depended on the quality of the wood.
    Macon sold me one of their stocks and it was just fine. I found it a good value.
    I would use Show me gun stocks in Mo. Donnie Grimes's shop did the work. He put the off set I requested in the stock and I was satisfied with his work, time and cost. 660-438-4568
    My son was given a 311 Stevens by my wife's uncle before he was born. I have bought a price of wood and will have another vendor do the work. He has no intention in shooting the gun and will probably sell it when his mother and I are gone. I will not be putting a lot of money in this stock. A lot of love but not money.
    If I had any type of nice trap or skeet gun to be restocked I would look around. There are 5 or 6 good stock makers some post on hear. Jim

19. bigben

bigben Active Member

Arnie, a simple fix, loosen the recoil pad, slide a 1/16 inch plastic washer on the top screw and tighten, if that feels better on her face add another 1/16 until the gun just pushes against back Not up,into her face, another item, if the pad is a concave one put a flat pad on. try it out, you be be surprised! incinerate em!

20. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

If you want your stock to actually fit you, Dennis DeVault is the guy to see. He spends an entire day with you to insure a perfect fit, including a lot of shooting with the tri-stock. Then, instead of building the stock and sending it to you ASAP (which would benefit Dennis from a business perspective) he has you take the tri-stock home and shoot it (for weeks or months) until you are completely satisfied with the fit. Then and only then does he make the finished stock. It's a process, but well worth it.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.